Sky sports news to become pay only

MFCGMFC

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey all

BSkyB is to pull Sky Sports News from Freeview in a bid to drive subscription revenues, ending eight years of free-to-air broadcasting of the channel.

BSkyB, which launched Sky Sports News on Freeview in 2002 alongside Sky News and Sky Travel, is to replace the channel with a one-hour-timeshifted Sky 3 +1 service later this year. Sky 3 replaced Sky Travel in 2005.

The move marks a significant shift in BSkyB's attitude to the benefits of using the reach of the free-to-air service as a marketing channel to attract subscribers to its pay-TV service. Despite the Sky Sports News service benefiting from ad revenues on the Freeview platform it is thought that BSkyB has decided that over the long term there is more advantage to be had from taking it completely subscription only.

As part of the move, BSkyB is to boost editorial investment in Sky Sports News as it prepares to launch a high-definition service.

It is understood that the investment, which is not likely to include large numbers of staff hirings, will include new facilities and equipment such as outside broadcast trucks and a commitment to cover a wider range of sports. When the service becomes pay-only it will be available on Sky, Virgin Media and Talk Talk TV.

"As part of a subscription service, customers can look forward to expanded coverage and the launch of Europe's first HD sports news service," said the Sky Sports managing director, Barney Francis.

BskyB will pick up a fourth slot on Freeview when it takes over the Virgin 1 channel, assuming regulatory clearance is given to its £160m takeover of Virgin Media Television's channels. BSkyB did not buy the licence to continue to operate the Virgin 1 name.

Sky Sports News to go pay-only | Media | guardian.co.uk

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

They can kiss my arse before I will pay for that load of repeated sh1te, its infuriating, they say coming up after the break is so and so, then after the break the same news you just had and then...coming up after the break is so and so...you said that 1/2 hour ago you twats and keep showing us the same stories over and over again.

People only watch it cos its free, although it will probably be included in a lot of packages.

Ta for news Gav.

Cant say I'm suprised at this news. It was just a matter of time b4 they did it

Hi all its been a while, would like to get a chance to sit here all day like you lot :)

That sounds like good news for us in Spain, cant get that channel over here on a small dish but every customer wants it, should make a nice move from Astra 2D over to 2B.

Any ideas when?

Doesn't surprise me either, as strange as this is going to sound despite having SkyHD legit with pretty much all the packages Sky Sports News is often one of my most watched channels....I don't know why but I just find it easy viewing especially when there's nowt on but you want something on in the background or first thing in the morning tv viewing Sky Sports News is my first channel lol.

Maybe with it soon being a premium channel they'll start filming it in HD because currently it looks shit on Sky Sports HD when Soccer Saturday is on. Same studio.

This news altogether sucks for those who rely on freeview though....

Sky Sports News no longer 'free'Sky reveals plans to remove channel from Freeview

17 June 2010
Sky Sports logo

Sky has announced plans to make its Sky Sports News channel exclusive to pay TV customers later this year.

Under Sky's plans to develop the channel, Sky Sports News will be removed from Freeview. In future customers will only be able to access the channel if they have a subscription digital TV service. This means Sky Sports News will become exclusive to Sky, Virgin Media and TalkTalk TV customers. It will also be available online and on mobile according to Sky.

Sky claims increased editorial investment in the channel will bring viewers richer and broader coverage of sports news, as well as faster reaction to breaking stories.

Sky Sports News goes to pay TV only

Sky3 +1 will replace the Sky Sports News channel on Freeview later this year. Sky3 + 1 is a time shifted version of the Sky3 channel which already exists on Freeview. The Freeview digital TV service allows viewers to access over 40 digital TV channels with no contract or subscription. To get the service viewers need to make a one-off payment for a Freeview digital set-top box or PVR or TV with built in Freeview.

Sports fans who still want to watch Sky Sports News will need to consider signing up to a pay TV service from Sky, Virgin Media or TalkTalk TV. Both Virgin Media and TalkTalk TV already offer the channel as part of their digital TV services.

Sky Sports News in HD

Sky also intends to launch Europe's first high definition (HD) sports news service as part of its future plans to develop the channel. Sky Sports News HD will become the fifth HD channel from Sky Sports when it goes live later this year.

Further details about the HD channel and other enhancements will be announced in the weeks ahead.

Sky Sports News in HD

Sky also intends to launch Europe's first high definition (HD) sports news service as part of its future plans to develop the channel. Sky Sports News HD will become the fifth HD channel from Sky Sports when it goes live later this year.

That's what I wanted to hear! ;) Soccer Saturday is a hoot so that'll be great in proper high def. Can't wait for this.

That sounds like good news for us in Spain, cant get that channel over here on a small dish but every customer wants it, should make a nice move from Astra 2D over to 2B.

Any ideas when?
Sky Sports News on satellite has always been on Astra 2A North beam for as long as I can remember. So it cannot move from 2d to 2B!

And even if it moved to HD it may still be on a 2a or 2b north beam - meaning down in Alicante you may still not get it all day!

Judging by the adverts, it will be available before August and the new football season.

It isn't free on sky anyway only freeview so this makes no difference to me personally. But its only a quid a month anyway with the news pack

I had seen it comming.
BN.gif

I suppose this is good news for those with Freeview boxes.

Skysport news pulling the plug on Freeview means more bandwidth for another decent channel.

sooner or later we will have to pay for every channel seperatly

cant wait till my contract expires

robbin gits :D

Yeah not good for freeview fans of Soccer saturday etc.
this weekend i watched the BBC Final score freeview ch301 for live score updates/reports/studio chat for the whole afternoon it wasn't bad so will become my soccer saturday fix for now

brilliant financial opportunity for a new sports news channel i only wish i had the money,sly must be thick to let this spot go because they could charge top dollar for advertising may be bbc radio 5 live could take the spot.

Just goes to show, the more money they make the more money they want, i would rather read a paper than pay extra to those tOsSers (excuse the French)

also on cable, going from the free M package to the M+ pack(extra £5 PM)

Back