Sky Q low signal

rawsy

DW F1 Champ 2010, 14, 19, 20 and 22
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Glad to see you all back.

I moved house a few months ago and didn’t want to wait for a sky q engineer to appear before being able to watch tv. So I bought a wide band lnb and put it on the dish.

everything was fine unless it rained. The signal was at
Strength 50
Quality 90
The dish was quite rusty and I snapped a bolt trying to adjust it.
While trying to adjust it I could not get anything better than strength 50.

I bought a new zone2 dish and lnb. Zone 2 is overkill but the price wasn’t bad and I read it would work. The issue is I can still only get strength at 50! I have also lost some channels which I have only just realised after packing the ladders up.

I have no sat meter so am relying on the wife looking at the signal page while I adjust the dish.
I have set the dish angle to 25• and have pointed the dish as inline as the old one was. I moved the dish till I lost picture and signal levels each way and went in the middle.

there are some degree markings on the lnb. I appear to only get a picture and my 50 signal while it is straight 0.

does anyone have any tips for me please? I am beginning to think the box may be at fault. It worked fine in dry weather before.

thanks for reading

Go back up the ladder with your wife watching flex the dish slightly left right and up and down and tell her to shout when she sees an improvement. If she does then you need to tweak the dish in the direction of the improvement til it maxes out.

Id you dont see an improvement id be thinking line of sight been obstructed.

Ok ta. It’s a bit difficult to gauge the improvement as the best I have seen is 50. But it’s now 50 with missing channels.

it is what it is though.
Thanks

Have you got an old linux box ? You could then use a signal meter on your phone providing your wifi will reach where the dish is.

I threw anything like that out recently lol

it was just an open box anyway. They were quite limited I am led to believe.

thanks

I just looked in dishpointer and defo have the angle a couple of degrees out.

Thanks for your suggestion

I have regained my channels.

dishpointer helped with the azimuth. The app it’s self was not very accurate. I used my phone with the compas app stuck to the side of the lnb arm to set the azimuth. I think the angle of the dish is at 25* rather than 23* dishpointer said it should be.
I bottled it as there was lightning starting lol

The signal is the same though? Really strange. At best it’s strength 50 quality 90 we have seen it go lower but can not get higher.
It rained a little with the thunder with no glitching or signal loss so I think I have improved it.

many thanks

Youll never peak it that way mate, miniscule movements can make a big difference. Buy yourself a £8 meter off ebay.

Strange how it always ends up at 50% though.

Well he is half right at 50% , on the other note did you not upcycle your old stuff instead of dumping it.

Well he is half right at 50% , on the other note did you not upcycle your old stuff instead of dumping it.
Had to do 2 house moves so was just ruthless with getting rid of stuff.

if I get any issues when the heavy rain starts I will have to get a meter.

I do want to change the angle that 2* to 23* though just to to see.

thanks for the suggestions.

Yes i lose stations in heavy rain , yea sometimes in a hurry skip has to do.

Youll never peak it that way mate, miniscule movements can make a big difference. Buy yourself a £8 meter off ebay.

Strange how it always ends up at 50% though.
Ok think it’s done now.
I was still missing channels but didn’t realise at first.
I bought a meter as you suggested and tweaked the angle to 23* and moved it left and right until I got the best signal, and all good now I think. Stupid thing is, the signal is still at 50 with quality at 90!

Back