Sky installation worries

Qwerty1979

Member ++
Reaction score
Getting Sky installed soon but am worrying how they are going to get the cabling to my TV.

I've attached a layout of my house any suggestions on how the cabling may go?

place dish high on the wall,minimising visible cable on that wall.....cabling can be clipped to facia boardand just beneath roor tiles and clipped down the wall in line with where they need to drill.-close to your tv.....

sky

whats the problem m8 just install the dish and run ye cable under ye gutterrin then down to ye living room no worries

Our TV is against the inside wall, if they drill through the outside wall the cable will be on the opposite side of the room.

Then there is no way of getting the cable across the room as between the kitchen and living room we only have full height sliding doors and no walls.

Last edited:
Something like this?

.....or is that a house to the left? In which case ignore me :)

Last edited:
Nice try but I'm not sure my neighbour would be too impressed having my Sky cable running through his house. LOL.

Just noticed this is my 100th post!

ignore me 2...lol ...I was suggesting exact same thing but didnt realise we were talking semi-det or terraced to the left.....

looking at thru a floor or wall or 2

just how are u watching tv at the mo then? u must have cable coming from somewhere?

Last edited:
well just let it hang thru your room then at xmas have some where to hang the cards lol
nah sure the sky engineer will think of something
myt be loadz of holes all wired pined to like skirting boards or something
myt put dish on ur chimmney and run cable all way down side of the wall i duno lol
or last resort might say you cant get sky and leave lol

Last edited:
From the dish run the cable up into and through the loft.

Drop the cable down the front wall as inconspicuously as possible.

Drill a hole in the corner of the outside wall, then run your cable under the carpet (or top of skirting if you cant lift a bit of carpet)

Drill through the bottom stair riser (its wood behind the carpet) and that should bring you out somewhere by your telly.

Just a idea

Last edited:
Think I'll have to wait and see what the engineer says. Just don't like the idea of having cables showing all over the place, I'm sure they'll have solved bigger problems then this.

Was looking at the Sky dishes on other new houses on our estate and some of them have cables running all over the walls looks like they've done a right bodge job on it.

sky dont pin cable to walls if you dont tell them leave do it easy n quick way just watch them if its not neat let them no i had ntl to my cable the guy done wkd job i was not even watching done it all neat and tidy

i had a mate who worked for a company that sky was passing the work over too
my mate told me they were paid 40 quid for a standard install out of wich they used there own cable, connectors and fittings
so they probably make around 30 - 35 quid per install
and anything xtra would be charged for like fitting dish on a chimney
so what he use to do was every time he got a job what would take more than 20 minutes or involved too much he refuse to do it
he'd tell the customer that he hadnt the long ladders
and hed tell the bosses the customer didnt want to pay the extra

Think I'll have to wait and see what the engineer says. Just don't like the idea of having cables showing all over the place, I'm sure they'll have solved bigger problems then this.

Was looking at the Sky dishes on other new houses on our estate and some of them have cables running all over the walls looks like they've done a right bodge job on it.

its not a problem m8 but you might help yourself if you offer to help the installer ie lift up a bit of carpet or get in the loft and pull the cable through with him.
when i said drop the cable down the front i took it for granted it would be tacked down. sky aint that crap.
remember your tv is on a inside wall and you got no no 'easy' cable run to get to it.
you get what you pay for and visible cables (you aint forgot about the phone point) are what you get for a standard install.
you could use the cable thats in the cavity wall already with a tv/sat diplexer and change the flush outlet.
dont know if sky do this for you but an independant will.

have you ever had cable tv in your house if so does it go to where the tv is now
if you have and it does go to the tv now tell the sky engineer to wire into that so he will only have to join his cable to the cable tv cable and job done thats what i did only take half the time and he will be well pleased he does not have to do all the Wiring in your house

i really think people expect too much from sky installers, they want them to be roofers/gardeners/decorators/DIY-Centres/magicians all rolled into one. If I worked for sky & came to install at your home and you wanted me to make the cables invisible I would make my excuses leave and call it in as a job that cant be done, thats simply what most installers would do with fussy customers. Yes we all want the best solution but if you can do a better job than an installer then you should save them the work and do it, simple. :)

So I would be more realistic and understand that cable has to go somewhere. If you want it hidden then do it yourself now before calling sky out, or find a local independant that will quote a complete integration install price maybe.

I have put a note on the plan where the TV and BT points are located in the living room.

The TV point is currently unused as the builders did not install a TV aerial (extra £350 for that).

I don't think the installer will be able to use this as we are having Sky+.

I don't expect not to be able to see any cable, but I don't want cables running everywhere around my new house.

Last edited:
you got it ph do wat i did i just asked him to leave a some extra wire make it a lil bit longer ask him to connect see if works then pin it your own way they aint there to make it all tidy

from the last plan shown i'd say the best/only option would be >> along outside wall, then through the wall or window frame into your downstairs loo, then around the small loo room top or bottom ~depending on decor, around the stack-pipe box(corner), then through into the cupboard area understairs and finally into tv area.

You will have 2 co-ax cables running that way and then a small cable running into telephone socket area. If you dont want to see the cables in your downstairs loo then you could add trunking yourself and put the cables inside so they are not seen. :)

as pinky says, but there is a 'shotgun' cable available for runs up to 25M which will be fine for this, and youd only see a small length of it across the skirting in the toilet

(i had typed an in depth reply but it vanished when i clicked submit, and im too lazy to do it all again lol)

Back