DVB - PC Cards Sky Guide in MCE

cafe.racer

Inactive User
Reaction score
Dropped a clanger last night and had to re-scan all my channels.

I'd read that MCE now includes the Guide for Sky for those people with DVB-S card with fake DVB-T drivers, but took no real notice.

Anyway, when it go to that bit in the setup I selected the Sky guide in MCE and, while I haven't checked through the entire list, it's a much better starting point, by a long way, as the vast majority of channels have auto-matched.

I'll have a look to see what channels are missing, hopefully nothing major if any at all.

Even some of the pron channels have program info.

I noticed a couple of the channels have changed name - Sky Screen 1 and Sky Screen 2 have appeared for example (neither have automatically matched the guide) I don't know if this is as a result of VM channel the name on the carrier signal or something to do with the different guide?

Sky Screen 1 is SD1 and 2 is SD2, still no data for SD2

It's missing info for the Radio Channels, and (I think) UK Racing and a couple of the Asian Channels, but that's it.

When I've rescanned, there's UK Geographic (HD) appeared, but it doesn't look like HD.

If you're setting up, I'd definitely try this option!

Nice one, thanks for sharing

just set up in vista....extra option now when setting up guide i get Sky/BBC1/ITV aswell as the normal terrestrial transmitters and dvb-t unmapped. Used the sky/bbc/itv option and get full epg as you've stated also regional epg aswell.

Full 2 weeks, well thats the end of Bladerunner and xmltv for me. just channels to resort now.

Thanks great find makes life a lot easier.

This sounds great, problem is I already have bladerunner/xmltv set up and I don't know what the default entry for the discsvc key is! Please can anyone (not using bladerunner) reply with the contents of this key so I can switch back. thanks!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\EPG\Discsvc

Also, I presume this works fine with cable, you guys are on vm aren't you?

This sounds great, problem is I already have bladerunner/xmltv set up and I don't know what the default entry for the discsvc key is! Please can anyone (not using bladerunner) reply with the contents of this key so I can switch back. thanks!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\EPG\Discsvc

Also, I presume this works fine with cable, you guys are on vm aren't you?

easiest way is rename ur reg \epg folder epg1 or something, and reboot, a new epg folder gets created with all setting back to normal, also you've also got a copy of the modified epg saved if u want to switch back...

see u've dun it now but this may be useful in the future.

yes i'm vm ex pure

cheers

Well, the only disadvantage I can see to using the Sky guide is that it downloads loads of extra channel info that you don't need.

So if you want an easy life, use the Sky guide, but if you're fussy about these things use the reg hack for the native guide and do more "add listings to channel" work.

Well, the only disadvantage I can see to using the Sky guide is that it downloads loads of extra channel info that you don't need.

So if you want an easy life, use the Sky guide, but if you're fussy about these things use the reg hack for the native guide and do more "add listings to channel" work.

yes i'm up to 873 but it seems to have settled down and at least they remain channels that are not checked and are not seen in the channel list and the guide seems stable....

ignore me, never scrolled down to sky in list

Last edited:
Sweet find, now all I have to do is build my new htpc, and get AU working

I gave up with this, everything was working ok, but it was getting a pain channels duplicating all the time.
I was only trying to get BBC HD.

Might have a look in a few weeks see if I can hack the MCE DB and remove duplicate channels.

Back