Sisters doing my head in to set up website!

smithy69

Inactive User
Reaction score
Right she has finally got round to buying a domain, however do you know of any good free web hosts with no ads etc.?

Cheers ladies :)

I set my friend up on 1and1.co.uk and the service and ease of use has been excellent for her. However a mate of mine swears by Compila, and I'm happy with hostei.com for my needs.

There are loads of choices though, you'd be better off saying if there are any specific requirements, or what it will be used for..

She wants to set up a babysitting website mate, so very basic!

She only needs around 5 pages, I need to fleece her off with some design software for it, whats the best one!

I have my own website and it looks quality, but I didnt make it :p

If its just going to be static content (ie html) then you will find many free ones.

I would consider paying something like £5 a month for something with no adverts or frames.

If you need php, mysql, etc etc then you might want to look at about £10 - £20 to start off?

Regards
Mickie

She wants to set up a babysitting website mate, so very basic!

She only needs around 5 pages, I need to fleece her off with some design software for it, whats the best one!

I have my own website and it looks quality, but I didnt make it :p

well then why not give her some of your hosting, set it up as a subdomain, with her domain pointing to space on your hosting package, very do-able and not against the rules.

Cheers Mickie, she needs no php or database its just going to be a few static html pages of content. I could even put her on my dedicated streaming server than has a spare TB of bandwith but I really can not be arsed im so mean lol!

im not allowed any other domains on my site buddy, just the 1 domain.

Lets just say mines off shore its not the most kosher site!

im not allowed any other domains on my site buddy, just the 1 domain.

Lets just say mines off shore its not the most kosher site!

but surely could you not just creat a foolder on your host, drop her pages in there and then point her domain to the folder, that should be no problem?

but obviously, you know your hosting ;)

Ahh im not the best on it mate lol, is that possible to have a domain go to a folder?

how much space you after mate ?

i can sort summat out for ya :)

Pm me the the domain name so i can set it up then ya just need to forward it ::D

yeah, its quite possible, its just static pages, point the domain to the folder, and i think you put a .hta access file in there.

i`m no web god bud, but yeah its possible, i`m sure those that know will give more detail ;)

yeah, its quite possible, its just static pages, point the domain to the folder, and i think you put a .hta access file in there.

i`m no web god bud, but yeah its possible, i`m sure those that know will give more detail ;)
yeah using the .htacess you and do a mod re wirie rule to make it look like its at the domain rather then the folder..

tho ive sorted him out for now :)

Ahh im not the best on it mate lol, is that possible to have a domain go to a folder?

Yes, on the website where you manage the domain name, put the URL of the page that you want as her home page.

Back