Sikh teenager wins bangle case

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojo247

Inactive User
Reaction score
A Sikh teenager excluded from school for breaking a "no jewellery" rule by refusing to remove a wrist bangle which is central to her faith was a victim of unlawful discrimination, a judge ruled today.

As a result of the judgment in the High Court, Sarika Watkins-Singh, 14, will be returning to Aberdare Girls' School in South Wales in September - wearing the Kara, a slim steel bracelet.

Her lawyers had told Mr Justice Silber that the Kara was as important to her as it was to England spin bowler Monty Panesar, who has been pictured wearing the bangle.

Sarika, of mixed Welsh and Punjabi origin, of Cwmbach, near Aberdare, was at first taught in isolation and eventually excluded for refusing to take off the bangle in defiance of the school's policy, which prohibits the wearing of any jewellery other than a wrist watch and plain ear studs.

Today, the judge declared that the school was guilty of indirect discrimination under race relations and equality laws.

After the judgment, Sarika's mother, Sinita, 38, said: "We are over the moon. It is just such a relief."

Afterwards, a spokeswoman for the family hailed it as a "common sense" judgment.

Sarika said: "I am overwhelmed by the outcome and it's marvellous to know that the long journey I've been on has finally come to an end.

"I'm so happy to know that no-one else will go through what me and my family have gone through."

She added: "I just want to say that I am a proud Welsh and Punjabi Sikh girl."

Anna Fairclough, Liberty's legal officer who was representing the Singhs, said: "This common sense judgment makes clear you must have a very good reason before interfering with someone's religious freedom.

"Our great British traditions of religious tolerance and race equality have been rightly upheld today."

:Clap:

LOL whats Monty got to do with the story.

Once you start giving in to head scarfs these types of incidents will follow.

i hate this kind of story, i'm sick of people pulling the religion card at every opportunity, it's near enough every week. Why can't people just conform to the rules that are already in place, if you don't like it then sod off! Rules are set to be obeyed, thats the definition of the word.

i hate this kind of story, i'm sick of people pulling the religion card at every opportunity, it's near enough every week. Why can't people just conform to the rules that are already in place, if you don't like it then sod off! Rules are set to be obeyed, thats the definition of the word.

Sod off where? She's Welsh. If you don't like the laws of this land, which are to allow people the freedom to follow their religion then surely you should sod off too (in this case the School was wrong).

no jewelry means just that, no matter what.

another bullshit ruling by a judge too afraid to rock the boat against 'minoritys'

fook that, shes welsh, the rules were in place BEFORE she started at the school (which is 14 miles from me). the christian kids cannot wear a cross, as thats jewelry according to the rules.

ban religions from school, wear the uniform or find another school. this one girl has cost that school thousands of pounds thats been taken from other kids education all cos of a poxy bangle

rules are rules, and as soon as people stop thinking 'but what if i offend...... but what about the human rights of.........' things will level themselfs out. if she wants to choose religion over education, then thats her choice, but the school should stand by its rules

Sod off where? She's Welsh. If you don't like the laws of this land, which are to allow people the freedom to follow their religion then surely you should sod off too (in this case the School was wrong).

you are taking me out of context. i mean to a different school.

am just trying to say we are becoming a country of one rule for one another for others, especially in a school how are the other kids going to perceive this.

no jewelry means just that, no matter what.

another bullshit ruling by a judge too afraid to rock the boat against 'minoritys'

fook that, shes welsh, the rules were in place BEFORE she started at the school (which is 14 miles from me). the christian kids cannot wear a cross, as thats jewelry according to the rules.

ban religions from school, wear the uniform or find another school. this one girl has cost that school thousands of pounds thats been taken from other kids education all cos of a poxy bangle

rules are rules, and as soon as people stop thinking 'but what if i offend...... but what about the human rights of.........' things will level themselfs out. if she wants to choose religion over education, then thats her choice, but the school should stand by its rules

Last time i checked, British law took a precedence over School rules. I'm sure if the Christian kids wanted to wear a cross then they could for religious reasons.

I could quite imagine this occurring at my old school.
Kids used to get sent home if they wore white socks, hair had to be a certain style, no jewelry at all except a watch. Must always wear school style blazer with school badge, tie had to be certain one that related to your class. My school was very strict, doesn't make them right though.

this will just open the floodgates.

so if i was a member of the jedi(i think its now a recognised religion), i would be allowed to wear robes and carry a lightsaber as part of my religion (don't take too seriously just making a point)

No, but I went to my school - where we had lots of kids from different religions and they were all allowed to wear stuff related to it.

You mean some had explosives strapped to them ? wow what a school

They should treat religion the same as smoking and ban if from all public places

IMO I think people should be able to wear what they want, for whatever reason they want (i.e. in this case religion).

The schools job is to educate its pupils, and as long as that bracelet doesn't get in that way of that (which it is highly unlikely that it does), then she should be allowed to wear it.

I think the school was a bit foolish to take this to court, I'm sure the money could have been spent on... Oh I don't know, maybe THE KIDS!

Once you start giving in to head scarfs these types of incidents will follow.

What do you mean by "giving in" to head scarfs?

All this really gets me down the racist line balls to it all.

If people want to live in england they should live by the english rules no matter what thats the same for the slovacs,polish,jews,everyone should live by the english rules and if they dont like it send them fookin packin from where they come from.

if we went over there i bet we wouldnt be allowed to do what we wanted ion there country they would make sure we lived by there rules wouldnt they

im sorry but im not trying to affend anyone with my remarks but im sure that within 5 years this place wont be known as england anymore we are a walkover

ship them all home now if they dont like it.

See, the only problem with being a Sith is the dress sense.

If they got to wear jeans and look a little less moody all the time, I am sure they would have more takers.

Ever seen a happy Sith Lord?

yep, i am sure the emperor was smiling when zapping luke in return of the jedi

Ship who where? This a 14 year old Welsh girl.
Again I will re-itterate, our laws allow the freedom to follow religion (the school rules can't override the law).
I'm assuming by "over there" (whereever there is, like I said this girl is Welsh) you are comparing our values to those other countries that you are criticising, surely that's what makes us different, our freedom to express ourselves (religiously or politically).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back