signal problem / booster box

lionrock

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi gang.
trying to help a non-techy mate with a dbox2 problem.
plugged directly into feed the box works fine - with approx. streaming figures of;
BER - 25,000
SNR - 56,000
SIG - 40,000

problem is when signal is split (with standard 2-way splitter) nearly all channels don't work and just have black screen (although the channel guide appears and some have sound).

the box has been split with no problems at his previous house.

thinking it could be a signal issue and thinking of trying a konig booster box (the yellow one).
any idea if this would work?

someone told me that all booster boxes are non-responsive to the new VM fibre optic cables though so no point trying one! can anyone confirm/deny this as can't find any info anywhere.

Thanks all!

1st thing I'd check is the type of cable that is being used once it has been split.

Get some good quality Webro cable. (WF100? some1 will confirm that for me)

I've had this sorta problem when I bought cheapo cable thinking to myself that the good stuff wasnt worth the extra.

how wrong i was

someone told me that all booster boxes are non-responsive to the new VM fibre optic cables though so no point trying one! can anyone confirm/deny this as can't find any info anywhere.

I think that someone is talking $hit. maybe im wrong maybe im wrong

Last edited:
The fibre optic cable is only laid to the cabinet in the street at which point VM's signal is converted from fibre to coax. From there to the house is copper coax and therefore this signal is the same as you would see if the cable was copper all the way through. That in mind a booster or attenuator can still be used.

Latly their signal quality has been total shite here in surrey (ex-tw) picture breaking up and living hardly watchable ?? I have had other reports of these problems from around the croydon area for the last week or so ? anyone else seeing these problems ?? Are v**n that stupid to decrease the signal to such a low level.

Ps: i use the yellow brick works fine here.

Try the slx1P from argos first m8 if it dont do the job take it back for full refund no harm done.

bit of an update....

tried a couple of the boosters from argos - all made a massive difference to the tv reception. all channels totally fine.

problem is the broadband doesn't work when ran thru the booster - ready light just flashes all the time and get no connection to web.

tried fixing a splitter to the booster and running the 2 feeds out of that but still no joy.

very confusing - and annoying! :)

what's strange is that can get tv and BB working thru just a splitter but picture quality too poor to watch - but proves that signal can be split.

obviously an issue with booster and BB connection but can't say have read much about anyone having the problem!

as a point to note - have tried a booster with variable gain but same issue no matter what gain level u set it at.

anyone else have this problem??

or even better, anyone else got a solution??!!!

cheers gang

you cant run your modem through the booster it will cut out the return path thats whats causing your problem !!

Just wire the modem in before the booster.

As pacman says just split for BB before the booster m8.

To improve your signal quality substantially when you want to split it get your self a soldering iron and trim back the cabling on your coax. Solder them together rather than using plugs and sockets. Again do this if possible for any extensions in the house.

just been round mates house and all sorted! :)
can't believe didn't realise why it wasn't working - doh!!

anyway cheers guys - speedy info as always - and much appreciated.

one quick question - 1 of the booster boxes we tried says it has 'IR return path', the other doesn't.
should this be a consideration?
seems to only relate to 'sky' but it doesn't mean some form of 'talkback' to VM or anything stupid like that does it??!

Nice one but what did you realise that you had'nt before. Guess it would be good to know!

just been round mates house and all sorted! :)
can't believe didn't realise why it wasn't working - doh!!

anyway cheers guys - speedy info as always - and much appreciated.

one quick question - 1 of the booster boxes we tried says it has 'IR return path', the other doesn't.
should this be a consideration?
seems to only relate to 'sky' but it doesn't mean some form of 'talkback' to VM or anything stupid like that does it??!

dbox has no capability of 'talking' therfore booster with / without a return path don't matter

had split the signal direct from booster - rather than just isolating the tv feed first.
all running smoothly now apparantly.

Back