cg010169

DW Regular
Reaction score
England seems to be falling behind it's neighbours when it comes to having bank holidays. Overall we only have 8 bank holidays a year, Portugal has 12. Not one of our bank holidays is to celebrate St Georges day.

Northern Ireland already has two public holidays to celebrate their national identity, St. Patrick's Day on 17 March and the Battle of the Boyne on 12 July.

Scotland has already introduced a Bill in the Scottish Parliament to make St. Andrew's Day a Bank Holiday. It is unlikely to be rejected by the Scottish MPs and so 30 November will become a Bank Holiday in Scotland only.

There is common agreement in the Welsh Assembly that St. David's Day should be a Bank Holiday,so it is only a matter of time before 1 March becomes a Bank Holiday in Wales.

Northern Ireland already has its own Bank Holidays, Scotland and Wales have their own 'parliaments' which are introducing Bank Holidays... which means England will be the only one without a national day of celebration.

Any day off is a great day off in my eyes, so if enough people get behind it then fingers crossed it should happen.

http://www.stgeorgesholiday.com/

even a petition on the number 10 website

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/stgeorgeevents/

Scotland has already introduced a Bill in the Scottish Parliament to make St. Andrew's Day a Bank Holiday. It is unlikely to be rejected by the Scottish MPs and so 30 November will become a Bank Holiday in Scotland only.

Signed it for you m8 (even though I'm Scottish.....lol)

For info although we will have St Andrews day as a PH, it's not actually an extra day. Organisations which take St Andrews day as a PH will just swap it for one of the others so we'll still be getting 8.

Signed mate

You can never have too many public holidays

Won't happen. I' ve seen this every year for ages. There's no way that a few thousand signatures on a petition is going to get us another bank holiday. Nice idea though!

Why stop at St Georges day let's have one for St Davids day and St Andrews day, after all we a United Kingdom. Anybody think of any more ?

Mike
:FRIGHT:

Why stop at St Georges day let's have one for St Davids day and St Andrews day, after all we a United Kingdom. Anybody think of any more ?

Mike
:FRIGHT:

i can think of two days that should be made public holidays and would make everyone f*cking ecstaticly happy

MONDAYS & FRIDAYS

i can think of two days that should be made public holidays and would make everyone f*cking ecstaticly happy

MONDAYS & FRIDAYS

Hmmm, I've thought about that lol. My "establishment" is talking about 4 day weeks, with every Monday off. That would then make every Tuesday morning the equivalent of a Monday morning.

I guess that the upshot of that would be that Friday nights would appear to arrive sooner.

My vote is in ;)

Back