Shower draining slowly help

goldenvision

Member ++
Reaction score
Shower tray draining slowly, has got a filter on that has to be cleared a few times a week, but still slow. Have been told to use caustic soda, does this work?
TIA
Goldenvision

it does work m8 but you cant use it on plastic pipes, which is what you prob have.

There are other foam action drain cleaners about which i have had to use in the past and have worked.

Shower tray draining slowly, has got a filter on that has to be cleared a few times a week, but still slow. Have been told to use caustic soda, does this work?
TIA
Goldenvision

m80 there will be hair in it or their is not enought run in pipe ,i think its hair get a plunger put lots of water in 1st then plunge it ,it will clear i do this meany times a day with work

clear blockage

the best thing to use is called 1 shot it consists of sulpuric acid and works a treat trust me !!!!

the best thing to use is called 1 shot it consists of sulpuric acid and works a treat trust me !!!!

sulpuric acid why use that if it goes every where lots of damage.
fill the try and plunge it .use acid and you will get ripples in the pipe do more damage .
none of the guys i work with use acid ,any damage b gas makes us pay

As said by loady 1 shot or dambuster (same stuff)
Wear gloves and goggles though and don't inhail fumes.
It's nasty stuff but will shift anything!!!
It will disolve hair and soap etc in 10 minutes.
Probably have to get it from a plumbers merchants.

Curly

Caustic is fine for plastic, its stored in plastic containers.

Its Metal it eats for fun! Especially Steel

Nickel or Nickel alloys are safe with caustic also!

As said by loady 1 shot or dambuster (same stuff)
Wear gloves and goggles though and don't inhail fumes.
It's nasty stuff but will shift anything!!!
It will disolve hair and soap etc in 10 minutes.
Probably have to get it from a plumbers merchants.

Curly

i would get the sack for that it does work yes but get it on bath lino or any where elce lots of damage .
i would use a coil spring or just a plunger never let me down or one shot gas does what it says on the tin clears all blocks fast £11. per can.
caustic is ok

i would get the sack for that it does work yes but get it on bath lino or any where elce lots of damage .
i would use a coil spring or just a plunger never let me down or one shot gas does what it says on the tin clears all blocks fast £11. per can.
caustic is ok

We use dambuster at work, but I don't work for b gas lol
As said above it comes in a plastic bottle.
As you said though, be careful with it. It's strong stuff!!!

Curly

We use dambuster at work, but I don't work for b gas lol
As said above it comes in a plastic bottle.
As you said though, be careful with it. It's strong stuff!!!

Curly

one of the guys fooked up doing this they got new bathroom suite and money so we all get it in the neck lol

Caustic is fine for plastic, its stored in plastic containers.

Its Metal it eats for fun! Especially Steel

Nickel or Nickel alloys are safe with caustic also!
as u say stored in plastic in its dry state but add water and it generates a lot of heat and can melt plastic

Yes, it is exothermic but its safe storage medium is Plastic. As its corrosive it will react with metal but not plastic even when liquid

Yes, it is exothermic but its safe storage medium is Plastic. As its corrosive it will react with metal but not plastic even when liquid
it is an alkile (spellin lol)
but if mixed wrong it will generate lots of heat

i used it the other day to clean my alloy wheels
worked a treat
lol
fooked the brush up though
lol

It does, so does acid on your wheels and the garden path. Feck the plants though!

If you follow the destructions all will be good.

I've used caustic soda on plastic pipes and it was fine.... Worked a treat too...

Just thought I'd add for next time.

I use a tub of baking soda and a large bottle of vinegar.
This not only cleans, but can unblock as well!

You can use this on the sink, shower and toilet.
Sprinkle all the baking powder around the sink/toilet and pour in the vinegar and watch it fizz!

Much cheaper than sink unblockers etc as the baking powder will cost you about 40p and the the vinegar about 60p for supermarket own value brand large bottle.

Has been mentioned before, I also use a plunger and it does the job okay. I would use this before resorting
to chemicals.

Thanks for suggestions/opinions.
Bought some caustic soda as I checked on moneysaving expert.com today and it seemed to be the favoure method.
Pipe run should be ok as I put it in myself and gave about 120cm (5") fall over 2.7 metres and supported it well.
Will try it and let you know
Goldenvision

Back