Should people be able to retire earlier if they work in the public sector

mrsb

Inactive User
Reaction score
Should people be abel to retire earlier if they work in the public sector than anyone else

No, public sector should retire at the same time as everyone else.

I work along side a lot of public sector workers and their wages are comparatively shite for doing the same job as a private sector equivalent, its the only break theyget for serving the public interests. I say yes

Can't think of a reason really why they should, but perhaps Mrsb had a tale to tell when she posted the poll, something that prompted her to start the thread as it's something I have never or would ever likely to think about.

For the sake of the poll, no.

No! Why should they be treated differently to the rest of us. We work until we are 65, pay all our taxes, NI, etc, so why should we supplement the public sector? We should all be treated the same.

i think they should i have been with my company for 28years am only 52 in 2 years ill have 30 years service that the max i can earn for full pension so after that i would not be contributing to the pension fund

i think they should as capcomind says i do earn knack all for jetting sewers etc

Ooo, can of worms...

It doesn't help either sides arguement that the pension fund managers squandered billions of pounds of private sector workers' pensions during the 80's and 90's.

You've got the private sector saying why should we have to fund their final salary pension scheme when we can't even keep ours? Then you have the public sector saying its your own fault and we get paid buttons to do the same job anyway...

I know that I got paid more for doing a less skilled job in the private sector, than I do now in the NHS (I try not to be biased...).

let me start by saying i am not a public sector employee !

my dad however was a government employee, the following is why they should be allowed to retire earlier.

pay in the public sector is on average 20% less for the same job as in private sector. so if they work for 5 years they earn what you and me would in 4 years.
the reason for this is the jobs for life myth perpetuated by the public sector.

as far as retirement in the main goes - for myself i wonder what i would do with it. shame i can't take it now when my baby is at the best age, instead i get to work all my life and miss these things. and oneday when i'm old enough i can sit at home and watch her work her life away. TBH this does not appeal to me a great deal.

oh and when i die - she gets to pay 40% of whatever small wealth i may have accumulated in death duty.

basically i think we should al retire at 30 and start work again when we are 50.
at least then we'll actually get a chance to spend the money instead of dying 2 yrs after we retire and getting f@@k all for years of paying our dues!!

twobeercans

I think everyone should be able to retire when they want , thats if they can afford to

The people I know who have done this usually get a small job to top their pensions up

I also think people should retire earlier as younger people who are up and coming cannot find the work

Case in point Doctors & Solicitors / Lawyers Judges usually work till they are pushing 80 surely the dosh that they have been on since they were 27 - 30 years old would be ample to allow them to retire at 50 or 60 no most of them carry on into their late 70`s Greed or what

Back