Shaun Maloney

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
THE Old Firm are set to battle it out for Aston Villa forward Shaun Maloney.

Former Celtic star Maloney is desperate to quit Martin O'Neill's side to return north and wants a deal concluded as soon as possible.

MailSport can reveal that behind-the-scenes moves from both clubs have taken place within the past 72 hours.

Rangers boss Walter Smith was tempted to move for Maloney in January last year when the player couldn't agree a new Hoops deal.

But it was decided moving directly across the Old Firm divide wasn't ideal and Villa snapped him up for 1million.

However, Gers have now reassessed the situation and feel Maloney would be an excellent addition to their team as Smith bids to inject more flair and pace.

It's understood the Scotland ace would be willing to join Rangers to kickstart his career.

And the possibility of teaming up with his former Parkhead reserve coach Kenny McDowall - now first-team coach at Ibrox - is an attraction.

However, Celtic also want to bring him back. Manager Gordon Strachan has never hidden his admiration for Maloney - named SPFA Player of the Year in 2006 - and the pair have stayed in contact since his move south.

There is no doubt Maloney feels a greater pull towards the Hoops but he isn't ruling anything out at this stage.

The 25-year-old hasn't been a regular for Villa but English sources insist the Premiership club want 3m for him.

However, that kind of fee wouldn't be a problem for the Old Firm as they fight each other in the transfer market for the second summer running.

Last year Celtic won the 4.4mchase for Hibs star Scott Brown while Kilmarnock's Stevie Naismith opted for Rangers in a 2m deal.

Last edited:
Not a hope in hell he'll go to Ibrox.

think they said that about mojo a while back.: shocked2

We dont mention that Judas lowlife scum bawbag fukwit son of a bitch chunt on here rab, and no it will never happen
popcorn.gif

Well i dont rate either Kenny Miller or Shaun Maloney so i sure as hell hope Rangers fail on both players.

both players are better than anything rangers have already

if they are that good why did celtic get shot of both and not try to keep them. kris boyd is better than both put together and that's when he just comes on as a sub.

Sunderland are also interested :proud: i rekon it would be a good signing for us if he gets played regular enough, hes showed good signs of what he capable of at villa.

dont want and of them near ibrox.
walter should phone brian laudrup to see what age his boy is now :proud:

I have to agree with the GERS men i would'nt take Shaun Maloney back no matter how little he cost.....

Maloney thought he was too good for us, and moved for a 'Few Dollars More' again only to find out that unless you're a superstar with one of the big four, you're pretty much invisible down there. Not to mention the fact that after coaching him into the player he is, and nursing him through injury and up/down form, we got 1 good season out of him before he ran down his contract and fcuked off. Nothing but a cnut, he made his bed, he can fcuking lie in it.

Petrov made it clear to everyone with his petted lip and sour coupon that he was bored with Celtic and bored with the SPL. So he moved to the Premiership only to discover that he was now a small fish in a big pond, and maybe the grass wasn't greener. If he wanted to return I'd tell him to fcuking ram it.

As for Kenny Millar nothing needs to be said here as he is a Fcuking TUBE.....

THE GRASS IS'NT ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE.....

Back