shall i get vista business ?

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys

just wanted some advice regarding windows vista business. Im being offered a chance to upgrade to vista business from xp pro....my concerns:

ive heard and read that it is full of problems and very buggy ?
is this ideal for the average home users?
does it make your lappy slow and consumes a lot of memory ?

generally what do yo guys think of it..?

cheers

It depends on the spec of your laptop but I was watching them trying to sell a dual core lappy with with 1gb of memory on one of them shopping channels last night and even when it was at idle the memory was at 60% usage and the cpu meter was jumping up and down on both cores.

It depends on the spec of your laptop but I was watching them trying to sell a dual core lappy with with 1gb of memory on one of them shopping channels last night and even when it was at idle the memory was at 60% usage and the cpu meter was jumping up and down on both cores.
ive got a toshiba lappy, intel core2 duo, 1gb of ram...i suppose its enough but what youve just said..makes me a little concerned....lol

dont go for Vista yet m8.
Its really glitchy at the moment, I'd wait quite a few months first.

Also, most people I know that have installed Vista are back to XP within 24 hours.

because im getting it more or less next to nothing, can i get it, but dont install it untill the glitches have been fixed, am i allowed to do that ?

not sure, it sounds like a sensible idea but I bet they wont let you do that.
you'll have to speak to the people offering it to you.

I can't see any reason why you can't, order it, wait for a few patches to be released and then install it with the hotfixes, it has nothing to do with Microsoft when you install.

because im getting it more or less next to nothing, can i get it, but dont install it untill the glitches have been fixed, am i allowed to do that ?

I had xp when it 1st came out with no service packs or updates on the disc and it was just as bad as vista is now but when the updates came out for xp I got them and that sorted the problem. I still have the disc and use the same key on a service pack 2 disc when doing a fresh install so I dont have to do all the big updates but dont know if vista will let you do this.

cheers guys..think ill get it....and keep it for a bit, before installing it...thanks for the advice..:eater:

I was able to download a copy (with a legit key) because Im doing a MCDST course at the moment, tried to install it on my lappy but it threw a fit when it seen I had Nero installed lol

cheers guys..think ill get it....and keep it for a bit, before installing it...thanks for the advice..:eater:

Why not just install it, try it out and keep it updated with the latest fixes and patches from Microsoft, using windows update...

I've had a bad day with vista, so at the moment i'd agree its a total bad move. There are so many problems its a nightmare, even with ms updates. Far too much software isnt working with it and too much hardware compatability issues. How can you do without nero, or many top class popular progs, its been around for testing long enough so these problems shoudn't exist by now. Apart from that its just stupid how much of the pc resources it needs to operate or even sit idle, but the main problem i've found is its soooooo sloooooow. Just plug any usb pen drive in and see how long it takes to recognise and load drivers..... maybe 10 times slower than xp, no joke, no reason.
I was a big fan to start with because of the gorgeous looks, and it promises so much, but in reality its cr4p and I wont be personally converting for a very long while. I wont be recommending it to customers anymore either.
So i sit the other side of the fence to c9679, my recommendation- dont install it. :)

I agree with all of what you say pink apart from the nero bit, vista has a built in dvd burner and software to encode dvds so no real need for nero anymore, but there is a version of nero that works on vista because I have it and have used it on vista.

@pinkhelmets

if u like the look but not the product, look for a vista theame for xp ive seen a couple and they look the busness.

NERO 7.7.5.1 works ok i have it on
i have a amd athlon 64bit dual core 3800+ running at 2.01ghz
with 2046 mb ram radeon x600 128mb pci xpressi have the ultimate running with aero
my background now is a mpeg
i have had no problems
running azurus torrent also conected to a hub (dc++) using strong dc
avg 7.5 power iso office 2007

all running good

so i would give it a go m8

was that the mesh comp, channel 747

i was watching it 2

was that the mesh comp, channel 747

i was watching it 2

No I found out by accident when trying to burn a dvd with the RC1 vista I just had to drag films to the dvd drive, I seen it on one of them shopping channels to and they have added it to the sidebar now.

lol, Im not really for or against Vista, I was just saying whats the point of spending money on it then keeping it on a shelf for a few months until its fixed, it wont really fix itself you will still need to install it eventually and then sit there to update all the patches and rubbish to it later on and by that time there will probably be a new version available with all the fixes for the same price... and after all that you might have updated your hardware and had a new version of Vista already installed

I have used Vista myself and installed it without any problems, its just like any new software it might have a few issues but that comes with all versions of software. The Nero thing isnt really a Microsoft issue companies like Nero make millions and it is their job to keep up to date with the operating systems their software runs on, Vista has been out for a while now for testers.

Sorry not too sure about the PC resources, Im not having any problems with any of the systems that I have installed it on however I would expect as the OS and applications get more sophisticated and larger they would require more resources and better hardware each time. Anyway I think Millenium runs a lot faster for me than XP or Vista, that doesnt mean I would go back to Millenium :)

Anyway all that said, im not really for or against Vista at all, im still running XP on my PC right now just because im too lazy to backup everything and reinstall

Back