Sgt Pepper's Drumskin sells for £541,250

Seedy_r0m

Elite Member
Reaction score
Let's move before they raise the parking rate.
Beatles Sgt Pepper drumskin in record sale

peppers.jpg

The hand-painted drumskin seen on the front cover of the Beatles' legendary 1967 Sgt Pepper album has fetched a world record £541,250 at Christie's in London.

The drumskin from the LP cover of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was expected to fetch between 100,000-150,000

A private collector paid over four times more than expected for the drumskin which was the centrepiece of the legendary cover design by Peter Blake.

At the same sale, two of the instruments that survived Who legend Pete Townsend's guitar-smashing era fetched more than £46, 000 between them.

His cherry-red 1967 Gibson SG Special, used by him from the early Seventies to the early Eighties, went for £32, 450.

The other, a classical acoustic guitar used by him to compose Behind Blue Eyes on the 1971 Who's Next album and to teach his daughter Minta how to play, made £13, 750 for the Alliance for Sustainability.

A pair of colourful striped flared trousers worn by rock legend Jimi Hendrix in 1967 fetched £20, 000, while one of his amplifiers made £25, 000.

A magnum of Krug Champagne - discarded by the Beatles and then signed on the label by them at the request of a schoolboy in 1967 - fetched £7,500.

The bottle was used as a prop in a promotional Apple film for the double-A side single Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields being made in Knole Park, Sevenoaks, which backed onto the school. The boy visited the shoot, spotted the empty bottle in the grass, and asked the Beatles to sign in between breaks in filming.

Beatles memorabilia dominated the sale.
A pair of John Lennon's tinted prescription sunglasses made £39,650, more than double the £20,000-£30,000 estimate. He wore them during his period in California in 1973-74.

Elsewhere, the handwritten lyrics for one of his best known songs Give Peace A Chance from 1969 took £421,250, more than double the pre-sale estimate

Lennon wrote the lyrics while he and Yoko Ono staged a "bed-in" for peace at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel, Montreal, Canada in 1969.

It was the first solo hit to be written by a member of the group before the band dissolved and has since been described by a writer as "the world's most endurable peace anthem and slogan".
The lyrics were given to a 16-year-old student living in Montreal at the time.

The auction, expected to fetch £1milllion took a total of £1.6million.

Original Article.
By Daily Telegraph reporter
Last Updated: 9:21PM BST 10/07/2008

i think you should donate it to charity. my charity :)

i didn't realise the Pepper drumskin was real either m8. i think the band would rather it went to a museum for everyone to see, than some minted private buyer tho

Back