Setting up an android phone

willin

DW Regular
Reaction score
I have recently broke my windows mobile phone, looks like I will have to get android or apple. I did try android a while ago for a very short time and hated it.
I would probably try apple but not at the prices they charge, so android it is, when I tried before I tried to set it up without enabling all the apps to know my location etc etc, which is probably why I disliked it because nothing worked.
I haven’t bought a phone yet (it will need to be soon) Tips/advice etc for set up and use for a complete novice with android please.

I dumped Apple a good number of years ago when a so-called 'update' effectively ruined my old iPhone 4 (yes, THAT long ago lol!), Android has come on leaps & bounds since then. My advice would be to grant location etc. permissions to start with then remove one by one if you so wish - some permissions can be set to 'on but only while app is being used' or something like that.
You can also delete a lot of the bloatware that most phones usually ship with to slim things down a bit. Plenty about that on the famous search engine.

Thanks for that, I have got a new android, and done more or less as you say, have eventually managed to get my contacts onto it using a famous search engine, but what a task from a windows mobile - I now want to move all my sms/texts but again is very difficult as WM apps are now virtually non existent.

I will have a pop at bloatware next ;)

I much prefer Apple but as you say cost is prohibitive so I went dow the Android route.

I have a trevertron says used the only when app is being used option where I can but also installed a VPN, not every app works with VPN especially my bookmaker ones but overall I think I am saved that way.

android for me is harder than Apple and the settings make no sense but there is a good search function and luckily these days the internet is full of helpful videos etc.

good luck with the new phone.

I much prefer Apple but as you say cost is prohibitive so I went dow the Android route.

I have a trevertron says used the only when app is being used option where I can but also installed a VPN, not every app works with VPN especially my bookmaker ones but overall I think I am saved that way.

android for me is harder than Apple and the settings make no sense but there is a good search function and luckily these days the internet is full of helpful videos etc.

good luck with the new phone.

Cheers, It's taking some getting used to, I'm not a big phone user anyway. I've installed epic privacy browser for now, finding something that converts .vmsg (windows mobile sms) to android AND putting it into the correct messages folder is proving almost impossible.

I hope I don't turn into one of those that can't put their phone down 🙄

Have you tried one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=transfer+sms+from+windows+phone+to+android+

The first video says vgm converter will convert them it is on the play store. I'm sure there will be other apps if you watch more of the tube's.

VMG Converter – Apps on Google Play

Thanks mate, unfortunately I tried that first one a few days ago, it’s not on the play store (I did install it but wouldn’t work).In late 2018 early 2019 google restricted sms and call log permissions in their apps and it stopped working, it didn’t get approval from the apps store, it also says it won’t work for Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo – of course I bought a Xiaomi.
The second one only does 200 at a time, and it’s the same as above with permissions.

I’ve found this Windows 10 Mobile is finally dead: How to take your data and move on
I’ll have a try on Wednesday, got a big job on tomorrow.
Thanks for looking BTW.

Last edited:
deleted.

Last edited:
Back