Setting up a website ....

whack

Inactive User
Reaction score
After a bit of advice from the clever people of DW! :)

I have an idea to set up a website that will need to host short videos and also provide a shop platform for customers. I am also looking to attract potential advertisers to the site as well. What domain and hosting would any 1 recommend, I have looked thru previous posts on this subject, but do not know enough about what would be required to acheive such a site. : multi :

Ah.. a new idea.. that's always good.. cause u shall be sucessful and then.. remember.. the clever peeps at DW.. ;)
I suppose there is a lot you can do.. and a lot of stuff that you can include for your website. But to start it all off, it depends on how much programming (java, html, css etc) knowledge you have to pursue what you have dreamt off.

for a beginner, it might be a wise idea to perhaps first try and get hold of a free website / domain. There are several websites out there who offer free posting e.g. freewebhostingtalk etc (just google for free hosting).

Now comes the more technical part. My solution for your question would be that you need to start looking at content management sites.. and the best one (and free) out there is Joomla. Its a based on Open Source.. hence it being free.

And with this system, you can then add several different components, modules, extensions to design the system the way you want to.. Take a look at the extensions on the joomla site..

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Then, once you decide on what you want to do, you can easily shift over to a paid host provider. By then you would know what kind of bandwidth etc you require to ensure you strive into the world of business.

Hope this helps..

I use namecheap.com for my domains, it is very good. Paypal and whois guard and very cheap.

As for hosting, I use my own, which I do sell aswell, so you might want to check that out, pm me and maybe I can give a discount www.brighthosting.co.uk

goto http://del.icio.us/

search for open source content management, and other things about web design you want to know. That site has a large web design community attached to it, so if a site is anygood, it will be listed there.

You will need a server with PHP and MySQL DB, make sure they have good customer support and look about what other people are saying about them first. Stay away from Demon.net (formerly DSVR).

Build your site with CSS, not tables and read about SEO... just ust that link at the top to look everything up...

Back