Setting up a Server??

mobad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ok Guys I have around 2 Laptops, 1 PC and 1 Spare PC.

Im thinking of turning the spare PC into a main server. Would this be possible?
Basically I want to learn and setup Active Directory accounts and permission every 1 on what and how they can browse the internet and PC.

Would Windows 2008 Server be my best bet?

Don't know what spec your spare PC is but if it half way reasonable then that should be fine. You could also use VMWare if your main PC is powerful.

I would not start with W2K8, try W2K3 as there is a lot more training material out there for it.

microsoft also do a Windows Home Server, which is geared to people like us who just want a server to hold all their pictures, videos and other media : https://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/default.mspx & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Home_Server

It is actually a very good peice of software, it does everything W2K3 does, but a in an easier to understand format for people who are not server admins.

Windows 2008 is a very dubious choice for you, it is quite different to previous Windows servers, so if you wanted to go for the traditional server setup, then as oneman suggests W2K3 is the better option.

I think Mobad wanted to use Windows server to learn about AD which windows home server does not support.

Mobad, as Karym6 says, W2K8 is quite different in places compared to W2k3 so I would leave it alone for now.

If you want to tackle AD you are definitely going to need to know about IP and general windows as a starting point. Then have a look at CBT Nuggets, Train Signal or LearnKey videos.

I agree with previous posters...... just use VMWare and put Server 2003 on.
Thats what I did to learn more about servers and AD etc. helped pass my MS exams.

XP has some drawbacks for this, it only supports a limited amount of connections for example and does not control Active Directory

it just depends what u wanna do and what you are comfortable to work with

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

it just depends what u wanna do and what you are comfortable to work with

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC
oh definitely, if all you need is a machine to hold stuff for you, then XP Pro is fine. If you just want media served to the family etc, then Home Server is good.

But if you want to learn about MS servers in general then Win2K3 is the best one for now.

Windows 2008 is a little different to the previous versions, you can run it headless for instance, and it uses a different shell. You can even install it with no GUI, which will scare a lot of MS fans.

Well I know about IP Address's as I worked for an ISP and my current role I use basic functions of AD.

If I load win server 2003 onto my pc, can I still my XP machines with the win 2k3 server?

Well I know about IP Address's as I worked for an ISP and my current role I use basic functions of AD.

If I load win server 2003 onto my pc, can I still my XP machines with the win 2k3 server?
Use vmware server on your XP machine, its free and will give you a good client/server environment.

mobad said that he had a spare PC so as long as it a reasonable spec then he should be able to load w2k3 on it. No need to add VM into the equation. Where VM will more critical is when its time to start messing about with replication and multiple servers when you need more then one server and also when covering any topics that involve IP services, espically DHCP.

VM is helpful in that you can setup a private netwrok where the VM can talk to each other but not the outside world.

however in saying this, vmware server would offer anyone the opportunity to test out an installation of any OS prior to getting onto a machine. In this case, it would be ideal prior to moving it onto a physical machine.

Ok thanx for the info guys.

Just a final question - If I want to access just my laptop without going through to the server, will that be an option through logging on with my XP machines.

The server will have windows 2003 server but all the rest of the laptops/computers will be only on XP Pro and one is on Vista.

Back