SetIFS failed plese help

whogiveaffff

Inactive User
Reaction score
i havent used my card reader for while i plug it in last nite to read a card i keek getting message SetIFS failed when trying to read card i have read load of post but no realy say what it is port setting seem to be right could it be drivers where have i gone wrong please help

have you set nagraedit to use windows98 / windows me compatibility mode?
hope that helps

do you have VCP set to Phoenix and 3.68 and not 3.59 or smartmouse? Make sure you've got any un-needed programs closed too.

Is this a newer PC with hyperthreading or dual core? if so you will have to set the processor affinity (to one processor or thread instead of 2 or more)for the nagraedit and infusb processes

Could the card be softlooped?

Hope this helps

Last edited:
just try all that and i am trying with 3 diffrent cards all the same

i am setting the vcp and narge to the same port but could the compter be using a diffrent port

Last edited:
I had this problem when reading and writing a ROM card and the problem was the PC. Tried on another PC and all was fine.

i been using this on same pc for over a year pc havent change anything i did re case it but cant see that doing anything

This was one of the replies i got when i had the problem ... thanks to .....CARWASH.....
hope it helps.

When you get a SetIFS Failed It means it doesnt know the size of the dataspace

SetIFS is the blocksize maximum packet size that the card sends responses back to Nagraedit, Romstudio, etc

The Default is fairly low, so nagraedit issues a command to increase the IFS. That way it can read or write all the data in the card ((64 bytes)) . The problem you are experience is due to the card not responding correctly to the command to increase the IFS. It could be due to communication errors on your serial port, USB, power supply, but most likely it is something in the card.. Try increasing the retry count in Nagraedit ((Preferences)) also try increasing power supply”! say from 9v to 12v or in between and see if it can get through it..
If the above doesn't work.. lower the FIFO buffers of the COM Port as low as you can (windows setting). If that doesn't work... try the same card on a different reader/writer or computer.
I used to get quite a few SetIFS fails but since i changed programmer i have had no problems at all

90% of the time is something to do with serial port problem

Mostly, SetIFS problems are down to communications problems. The actual SetIFS command is so low level its unlikely to be a card problem (unless NagraEdit is mis-reporting something).

Check all your comms settings and dont use virtual serial ports - they are about as reliable as a wet paper bag !

If you must use one then try removing everything else from the USB chain. Pretty much any USB device can interfere with the delicate timing required for smartcard communications !

Last edited:
hi all well after many hour of trying with no joy i lent a friend laptop i down load software from infinty usb web site in case mine was the problem install just to find i still having same message so i take it my reader is ffff

Have you tried any other cards in the reader eg fun atmega as this will sort of prove if the reader has had it's day.

If the progger is buggered then have you tried opening it up to see if there are any connection problems or may the card contacts are not aligned, also and this is stupid but here goes, you are inserting the card in the correct way as in the unlimited the card goes in with the contacts facing up as opposed to all other programmers where the card goes in with the contacts down, yeah I know it's a stupid question but I thought I'd ask.

EDIT: If you're not confident about opening the thing up, you can send it to me and I'll have a look for you if you like.

I don't believe it, I'm having the same problem now. Was working perfectly till yesterday. Same progger....same error. I noticed yesterday it seemed to stay on dumping dataspace for a long time and then all of a sudden the rest of the info appeared on the screen and it had successfully read the card. Now it pauses after it reports the cards' revision and then goes to set ifs error.
Before it started giving me set ifs errors it would get to opening bd3 and then nagra would stop responding for a while before going a little further and not responding again. The cpu was working quite hard as well.
The progger works perfectly in smartmouse mode. I'll open it up tomorrow and have a play, right now I am completely p***ed off with it.

Chookey

I don't believe it, I'm having the same problem now. Was working perfectly till yesterday. Same progger....same error. I noticed yesterday it seemed to stay on dumping dataspace for a long time and then all of a sudden the rest of the info appeared on the screen and it had successfully read the card. Now it pauses after it reports the cards' revision and then goes to set ifs error.
Before it started giving me set ifs errors it would get to opening bd3 and then nagra would stop responding for a while before going a little further and not responding again. The cpu was working quite hard as well.
The progger works perfectly in smartmouse mode. I'll open it up tomorrow and have a play, right now I am completely p***ed off with it.

Chookey

i dont think its the programmers at fault lads, {had something similer, with a diffrent programer running with a usb cable}

im certain its your pc if you use it for other things besides programing cards {automatic updates dont help either---{some laptops dont take too kindly to usb programing }

get rid of all the hidden crap on your pc {if your running on xp, do a system restore at the point your progamer was working}

usb programing is a load of crap [very buggy}---"you can't beat a serial programer with an external power supply]

a usb hub with an external power supply will more than likely do the trick

setiffs failed {get cam provider failed }= could mean the cards nackered.

setiffs failed or nagra running slow= is normaly your pc setup, " or something has changed on the pc previously to the usb programer working"

I use an infinity unlimited and never have any problems .These are the settings i use hope this helps
Settings in programmer s/w >>OPTIONS>>GENERAL, the following boxes ticked, remember directory on file load, beep when done, disable verify of ext eeprom
Advanced, Autodetect cpu before write/read/erase
Startup Check for new updates, Show splashscreen

ADVANCED (at bottom of screen) Mode 1 off

NAGRA EDIT
Ensure this is set to windows 98/me compatability (this is a must)

Options All boxes ticked
Communications error retry count 10
d2c max jump count 20
crystal 3.6864mhz

Rom 10+11
No response count out 3
No response retry count 3

make sure com port are set the same

well i got it to work havent a any ideas how i did i install a old version of the software took it apart i have found re booting comp helps so it could be comp problem it still play up 1 out of 10 trieds but i just re boot

Back