Seriously considering getting the Philips 56 Inch 21:9 56PFL9954 for bedroom!

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Am I nuts? Probably but this looks amazing the Philips 56 Inch 21:9 56PFL9954 and richer sounds have it for £1699.95 now with 5 year warranty!

I saw another super widescreen tv think it was Sony, but this has ambilight, 5 hdmi, net tv, and it just looks amazing lol!!

MUNKEY!! What you think?!

BTW this will be going in my bedroom. Downside it only has standard freeview so will be connecting, PC, Freesat HD, and PS3...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GJgDWy4CYQ"]YouTube - Philips Cinema 21:9 LCD TV with Ambilight Spectra 3 and Perfect Pixel HD Engine[/ame]

How much 4:3 and 16:9 content do you have? Or more to the point how is content with these aspect ratios rendered by the 56PFL9954?

I'd be interested in knowing how it behaves with the Dark Knight blu-ray. As the IMAX filmed scenes are presented in 1.77:1 aspect ratio compared to the 2.39:1 of the rest of the film.

It upscales and fine tunes the aspect ratio, im going to go down to richersounds and test it myself before I buy it but so far im wow'ed by the videos iv seen on you tube... You can turn off the auto ration function and it will be played in native format but give you black bars.

Hopefully I can see it properly 2mw at richersounds but they havent got it on display so will get them to take it out the box and see how it performs.

Only thing is im pretty sure they reduced the price because they cant shift them so if I wait longer it might come down even more.

House of Fraser have them in, I saw one in the window and it's an awesome beast.

I don't think it would be suitable for a bedroom use, scope is for film presentation only IMO. Why pay for all that wasted real estate when you have your PJ for critical viewing. If you're interested in scope I'd consider a budget anamorphic lens for your PJ.

I sell them,

it recrops 16:9 very well for normal tv and presents 21:9 from all blu ray and pretty much 90% of dvd discs. Dont be put off by the price as philips are throwing these out to dealers at the moment. ambilight has risen up from a gimmick to a good feature and you wont need the special 21:9 blu ray player as all that does is re-present the subtitles.

All Philips dealers should have these sorts of prices so shop around as most indies offer the £300 FREEVIEW HD pvr for £150 when you buy any philips TV.

If you want to barter the easy way with independants have an idea of the deal you want, (perhaps the richersounds price with the half price recorder deal added on and a half price HDMI cable) Strike up a friendly tone with the sales person, then let him know clearly the deal you want (still friendly). He will probably refuse and go into a speach on their better quality of service, if you can politely cut him off and let him know that you will leave your mobile number and that you will call him back tomorrow if you havent heard anything from him by then. Tell him that you are a serious buyer and if he gets the nod to do the deal that you will pay immediatly. This gives the sales person time and leverage to ask his boss and his boss time to phone the philips rep to strike a re-embursement credit or something similar. You will get a call back with an offer, remember a lot of places have had a hard time due to Englands performance in the world cup. There is stock to move and a paying customer is a opportunity to clear some stock, and believe me at this level and type of electronics at the moment there is pleanty of it in the shops that they need to clear in order to buy in the newer Philips sets.

Also remember that they will probably want to meet you in the middle with price so keep to the lower side of the agreement and get them to throw in free delivery, the box is massive lol

Your timing is just right mate

EDIT - Be aware that it comes supplied with the wallmount, if you want the pedestal stand thats more money:)

To buy that set without spending at least £1500 on a matching sound system would be seriously silly...this is going to be a seriously tooled-up bedroom!

Alternatively, why not ditch the whole idea and spend a couple of hundred quid on a seriously good clock-radio. It makes much more sense.

Do you have a seriously small Penis?

;)

Now,now witchy last time someone called you a penis, you spat your dummy out and were leaving,remember MkyD told you to fook off or grow up,seems you did not leave and have not grown up. get a grip boy.

Back