SEO SEO Advice

piemagic

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys can anyone offer me any advice/tips/tricks for good seo results on a wordpress site.
Im quite new to wp and im putting together a simple ecommerce website for a friend and i want to optimise it as much as possible (i realise there are limitations to the results of basic seo techniques). I have installed the 'seo suite' plugin on the site and filled out all the relevant fields like meta title, meta description, keywords, set up canonical urls, meta robots are set to index and follow, and im using breadcrumbs. My mate wants the site to capture a local audience so he has given me a list of about 15 towns and cities that are near where his showroom is based, where is best to put this info? I would assume it's best to put it in the keywords but i remember reading an article some time ago that said google does not list using keywords anymore. Surely i dont have to list these 15 towns and cities on every page as part of the content for it to get recognised do i?

Im kinda getting to grips with it but would really appreciate any good advice or tips from any experts out there as to what the most effective techniques are at the moment.

Many thanks in advance.

Pie

Last edited by a moderator:
First, content is king. Wordpress is SEO-friendly in any case but you need to establish what you want the site to index FOR!

Example, Google 'Computermedics', I'm top slot because I go for the local market and other marketing means current contact details are the main deal. Punters already know they want to find me so that's an easy score.

If you are bringing something new to the market you'll need to do some research to find out what prospects would search for then build it into the site. Check it's reasonable - search for 'M&S underwear' and you'll struggle to get on page 10 whatever you do.

Use other sites to build a profile I.e. advertise on Gumtree and other similar sites using words/phrases that match words/phrases on the new site. Check out other indexing sites to build a presence on. Create a Facebook page.

Remember SEO is dependant on the WHAT you are selling, the WHO you are selling to the same as a 'bricks and mortar' shop. Build into the site the attractions, unique-selling points etc.

Good Luck :)

Piemagic there's lots to good seo. First your content has got to be optimised around your key words theres no point having a site talking about gold when you sell silver. Check your keywords / phrases in google adwords keyword tool and make sure the keywords you are optimising your site to actually get searched for again no point optimising a site for key words that don't get searched for. For optimising your site I highly recommend IBP 12 with that you can do lots it will take a bit of practise to learn how to use it properly but the end results make it all worthwhile. After onsite optimising you will need to do some backlink building most use software for building thousands of links but to be honest your better doing manual targeted backlinks in areas that are actually relevant to your site you will get better results. If you need any help with your seo pm me and i'll try help. I also have a few tools that might be of use to you :) Andy

Guys, sorry for the delayed response but thank you all for your great advice.
Andy I will check out your recommendation and thanks for offering to help, I may well take you up on it.

Thanks again
Pie

Use the free Yoast plugin for adding SEO tags to your Wordpress site.

Back