selling a business?

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
im after some advise.

at the moment due to certain circumstances im unable to work, but still own a busy business that can take up to 100 calls a day. what i want to do is sell the business as a package to someone who does similar work.

id transfer the 0800 number, the fax number, website, customerbase, basicly everything except my tools

does anyone know how id start to go about doing this?

cheers

dd

digi surely your not selling all those sheep :roflmao:

im after some advise.

at the moment due to certain circumstances im unable to work, but still own a busy business that can take up to 100 calls a day. what i want to do is sell the business as a package to someone who does similar work.

id transfer the 0800 number, the fax number, website, customerbase, basicly everything except my tools

does anyone know how id start to go about doing this?

cheers

dd

sort my dish before you give up to graze on the mountainside :roflmao:

Selling a business with 'good will' is notoriously hard.

The only thing tangible is your customer database (and of course spreadsheets etc detailing how busy business is).

The best thing would be to try and tout your wares to like minded businesses, especially larger organizations that might have the dosh to buy you out.

Its a toughy though. You might be better off temporarily sub contracting until you are in a position to carry on as has been said.

theres not a lack of work, far from it, if i leave my mobile in the house i can have anything from 60-130 missed calls in a day, then the answerphone messages are a nightmare lol

i just fancy a change, and with my luck in vans and cars have decided to try a different direction but still in the same trade

theres not a lack of work, far from it, if i leave my mobile in the house i can have anything from 60-130 missed calls in a day, then the answerphone messages are a nightmare lol

i just fancy a change, and with my luck in vans and cars have decided to try a different direction but still in the same trade

if you dont mind me asking what is it your buisness does

installs satellite tv (sky, freesat, eurosats and motorised, plus broadband via sat) aerials, tv distribution systems and home networks

installs satellite tv (sky, freesat, eurosats and motorised, plus broadband via sat) aerials, tv distribution systems and home networks

why not take a percentage of the money from the work that you sell the pass the work on to that way you dont lose your business but earn from it

Any buyer will want to see the last two years worth of accounts.

You'll also need to show how many loyal/repeat and customers you have. Since user bases are not tangible you'll need to do your best to show the level of calls you get for work and what each job is worth.

Isn't this the perfect time to be in the satellite game with the launch of Freesat and the end of analogue tv?

Have you considered training someone to do the simpler and labour intensive jobs that you do? Some sort of apprentice? He could do all the dirty work and you could do all the technical.

Well I know of a company, a bit like an agency really, what you do is tell them what work you need doing and in what region and they will find someone qualified to do the work. They charge you a percentage of course but you also take your cut therefore you can keep your existing customer base while you test other avenues.
Another thought is if you are getting so many enquiries why not sit in the office and take the calls and let someone else do the work. The beauty of it is if the work is not there you are not paying a workforce standing idle.
Maybe worth a thought.

id rather do it the other way round bic, id prefer to be out in the rain being tied to someones roof in a gale dragging a 6' aerial up with a 12' pole than sat in an office all day, thatd drive me nuts lol

id rather do it the other way round bic, id prefer to be out in the rain being tied to someones roof in a gale dragging a 6' aerial up with a 12' pole than sat in an office all day, thatd drive me nuts lol

You could still do the work but make some more money getting someone else to help out doing the jobs you miss....
Maybe a different work life balance is in need do a bit less yourself and get some one to help out.
Or even get someone to run the office for you and take the calls. The wife does this for me as I would rather do the work, same as you.

Bic...

Why dont you take on a underdog someone who has skills simular to your self and you can rely on doing a decent a job in your area obviously ? I had a great sauny shop a few year ago that pulled £600 a day but I couldnt manage to sell as a buisness as most as the profits were hidden so I just rented the shop to someone else you will struggle to sell a buisness like that as anyone would see the benifit to just start up them selfs

If you asked me for £ 5000 quid Id be thinking hey i could buy spend that on tools and equipment my self and save the hassle paying him

hence do you have a shop premises in the deal and also once someone paid you they would have to pay for the phone number in future which isnt alot

so whats on offer ?

Why dont you take on a underdog someone who has skills simular to your self and you can rely on doing a decent a job in your area obviously ? I had a great sauny shop a few year ago that pulled £600 a day but I couldnt manage to sell as a buisness as most as the profits were hidden so I just rented the shop to someone else you will struggle to sell a buisness like that as anyone would see the benifit to just start up them selfs

If you asked me for £ 5000 quid Id be thinking hey i could buy spend that on tools and equipment my self and save the hassle paying him

hence do you have a shop premises in the deal and also once someone paid you they would have to pay for the phone number in future which isnt alot

so whats on offer ?
r u fookin mad .. u let a 600 quid a day company go ? lol

yeh smirn i had no choice due too family problems and finding out my son had autism spectrum i decided i was best staying at home and giving him 100% it was a cracking buisness and we supplied saunys to swan hunters and other companys round our area I tried to leave one of are lasses in charge of the deliverys and stuff she lasted 3 month and lost the reputation we built so the building got sold worst mistake of my life but hey life goes on atleast I can fry a canny mixed grill lol.

yeh smirn i had no choice due too family problems and finding out my son had autism spectrum i decided i was best staying at home and giving him 100% it was a cracking buisness and we supplied saunys to swan hunters and other companys round our area I tried to leave one of are lasses in charge of the deliverys and stuff she lasted 3 month and lost the reputation we built so the building got sold worst mistake of my life but hey life goes on atleast I can fry a canny mixed grill lol.

family (well kids come first) u have to done want u think is right m8

family (well kids come first) u have to done want u think is right m8

yer mistake in 1 sense what a good move in another as i can never say i wasnt there for my kid thing is its so hard to get started again these days never mind where theres a will theres a way.

there wont be many peeps startin company's this year m8 . the country's on its arse

Back