Sensible Topic Self-sustaining power

Gawumpi

Reaction score
Hello
I’ve been thinking about a backup power system for the home, in the event of a power outage.
Anyone got something like this?

Hello
I’ve been thinking about a backup power system for the home, in the event of a power outage.
Anyone got something like this?

Not sure how much you are willing to spend but a generator to power your whole house will not be cheap. Talking 5k+ easy.

Get your self a small genator that will power a few basic items for you like a few lights and a TV. Will only cost about 500.

Get some old batteries from a car place, cheap solar panel and a cheap invertor and you have back up. I did this in new zealand when I lived in the bay of islands. The power kept going out so i got some decent batteries taken from a car just out of warranty. $20.00 got me a solar panel and i paid next to nothing for a 300w invertor. I put led lights up in the house and it was enough to power the lights and modem so I could still surf the net. I have the same set up in the uk but bigger batteries and a 2000w invertor. Never really needed to use them though.

Another option is wind power those little wind generators create some decent wattage.

My grandparents used to live in Russell :)
I lived in Wellington for the majority, until coming here 5 1/2 years ago

I lived in Russell up on oneroa road, father in law lives at taepeka point and the sister in law owns the first house when you get of the ferry.

Leisure batteries/deep cycle batteries is what it I have here 2 X 6v Trojan linked together, but mine are only really to play with. They are much more expensive to buy. I sometimes get used one as we use them in our industry. I suggested car batteries as only because sometimes they get thrown away. My 2000w modified signwave inverter was about £25.00

I have read some good comments about the Tesla Powerwall. You might want to have a look into it. Might be pricey though.

if your looking for something to power a pc you can get 12v to 12v power supplies so no inverter needed
this also saves you going from 12v to 240v and then back to 12v

Back