Sensible Topic SeedBoxes VS VPS

Grimeire

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have noticed a lot of people on here use seedboxes, but it baffles me why ye do not use a VPS instead as the only thing i can see that a Seedbox has over a VPS is that it is preconfigured and you know the provider allows you to download torrents.

If it was me i would use a VPS as its cheaper and you will have full control of the system and not just certain software on the system.

Last edited:
2 Eur a month is cheap but 30GB wont last will quickly fill with a few films. I used a seedbox about 18 months ago and it was fast 1 & 10 Gbps compared to the 100 Mbps on the VPS. I just ended up cancelling mine and went for a NAS.

2 Eur a month is cheap but 30GB wont last will quickly fill with a few films. I used a seedbox about 18 months ago and it was fast 1 & 10 Gbps compared to the 100 Mbps on the VPS. I just ended up cancelling mine and went for a NAS.

they were the only VPS provider i checked. I'm sure they are others with better spec. how much was the seedbox? and were you actually able to download torrents at 1/10Gips?

For the storage i have 3 cloud accounts that have unlimited storage capacity so i could just mount them on the VPS which i wouldnt be able to do with the Seedbox

you can also buy unlimited gdrive account on the bay cheap

I signed up using a special promo for around $8 a month but its probably double that by now. Yes was able to max out the connection and download films in seconds. Its also good for keep ratio up on private trackers.

Didnt know about the unlimited grdive accounts. Going to take a look now thanks.

$8 isnt bad it would just annoy me not having control especially since most seedboxes are overpower for what they are.

If you have an gmail or outlook from work it is more than likely a unlimited account for Gdrive or a 1TB account for outlook.

you should check it out before you buy.

a connection that fast still isnt really of need as you still have to download it from the seedbox. not sure about you but my connection aint nowhere near that.

Some of the seedboxes you can play straight from kodi. Not sure about plex.

I know what you mean about limited control but i think seedboxes are mainly aimed at people using torrent.

Some of the seedboxes you can play straight from kodi. Not sure about plex.

I know what you mean about limited control but i think seedboxes are mainly aimed at people using torrent.

I seen some seedboxes come with Plex so it is possible. I think the seedboxes are more aimed at users without configuration experience.

I was looking into moving my plex to a VPS recently for cost reasons. Using the unlimited gdrive it would be cheaper to run than my current system and i wouldn't have to worry about drives failing in the future.

I'm going to do a test run soon.

Whats the privacy on these things? I mean i'd use one as i'd like more access but i've used this seedbox for 3 years and have had zero issues with piracy notifications

Depends on your provider. Most seed box providers have VPS also so I would assume that the same privacy rules would apply if not you can just use a VPN.

Depends on your provider. Most seed box providers have VPS also so I would assume that the same privacy rules would apply if not you can just use a VPN.

VPS is not private! Provider can see everything you do on it, and can image it at anytime they wish. It's just a virtual server running on a blade, so it's essentially a VM in vSphere. Whilst a VPS is cheaper, it depends what you want to do and why.

Seedboxes are mega cheap these days, as cheap as a VPS. seed.st do one for around $4pm for 100mb up/down. Orangeweb I think they're called are a hosting company in Iceland, it's where silk road was hosted, and they do similar prices.

A VPN isn't going to stop the provider seeing what's on the box, so if you're after privacy, then i'd avoid a VPS.

VPS is not private! Provider can see everything you do on it, and can image it at anytime they wish. It's just a virtual server running on a blade, so it's essentially a VM in vSphere. Whilst a VPS is cheaper, it depends what you want to do and why.

Why would a VPS not be private when a seedbox is? A seedbox is a VPS but is preconfigured, the whole reason they are more expensive is cuz they require configuration/updating compared to a VPS. If they can see your VPS data then they can see your seedbox data. With a VPS they just provide the OS aka IAAS and Seedboxes are SAAS.

The only different i can see between the 2 is that with a VPS they may care if you download torrents but with a seedbox they don't as it is solely for torrents.

All seed boxes I’ve had have been physical servers and not virtual. I’ve not said anything about seeing data. They can image the server, so it’s not private. To image a physical server you’d need access to the DC.

The OS would’ve be IAAS, that just means internet as a service. So would likely be Linux, windows or unix.

If your paying for a physical seedbox i can only imagine the price. the monthly running costs of a physical server would be a lot more than $4 per month. You mentioned a VPN isnt going to stop them seeing whats on the box so you did mention data.

the Seedboxes at seed.st for $4pm for 100mb up/down are not dedicated physical machines it would not be financially viable for any company to run a server that low spec, when they could run something with 100+ the spec. electricity alone for that low spec machine per month would far exceed the $4.

If they can reimagine a VM then they can reimagine a physical machine nearly just as easy. All they need is access to the iDrac/lightout or similar interface of the physical machine. They can reimagine whether it is physical or virtual.

IAAS is not internet as a service it is infrastructure as a service. they are providing you with the physical/virtual hardware(infrastructure) e.g 2 cores, 8gb ram etc..

I’m not saying that it cannot be imaged. Of course it can, they imaged the Silk Road server and that was physical. It’s just a bit harder to do and you can put things in place so that you’re aware it’s been imaged.

Financial viability doesn’t come into it. They can run a server at any spec required. Supply and demand.

IAAS - is just cloud based computing. Funnily enough I build and maintain flexpods, which lots of these companies use, data centre in a box basically.

I’m not saying the information you’ve provided isn’t accurate, I’m merely providing a different viewpoint. A VPS is inherently less secure than a physical server, all advice for privacy advocates not to use a VPS.

I seen some seedboxes come with Plex so it is possible. I think the seedboxes are more aimed at users without configuration experience.

I was looking into moving my plex to a VPS recently for cost reasons. Using the unlimited gdrive it would be cheaper to run than my current system and i wouldn't have to worry about drives failing in the future.

I'm going to do a test run soon.

Keep us up to date on this, sounds an interesting idea, are there any good tuts out there to take a look at please?

The VPN will only hide stuff from your ISP, it wont hide it from the VPS supplier, as they have direct access to the box. Not sure if that's what you mean grimerie?

Same with seedbox, you use FTP to hide what you're doing from the ISP.

Back