Security Comprised dbox network?

sedate

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have played a bit with the networking side of the dbox2 now, and I must say am a little bit concerned.

The scenario is as follows:

Dbox2 connected to RJ45 cat5 port on wall. This is fed back to my main switch. The switch is connected to the internal network card on my internal firewall. The external card of this internal firewall is then connected to my main perimeter firewall which is an industry standard firewall (- FW1 for those particularly interested). The external card of this main Firewall is then connected to my N*L modem via ethernet. Effectively I am as secure as I can be. I am very paraniod about this sort of thing, as setting up firewalls is one of my job roles. Im not too bothered about devices tallking to the dbox (although the fact that the password for the user who logs onto the machine for streaming is in clear text is a bit bad).

The problem:

I have noticed that one of my internal machines that runs XP pro, and that does the VLC video streaming to and from the dbox is getting a lot of ICMP and netbios packets sent to it...but get this...they are from addresses other than my LAN or DBOX....but they are not public IP's- but standard non routable private address'es....and there are an awful lot of different IP's coming along..and I have configured my firewalls to drop all the different types of ICMP packets originating from the external interface...and definitely netbios packets are a big no no...so my conclusion:

Connecting the dbox to the internal network is effectivley bypassing my firewalls..its not coming through the modem.therefore data must be coming through the cable feed....data from what though?....like I said the addresses are standard non routable IP's which suggests that it can only be devices that participate in the CC's network- be that other machines/users/routers.....but it is definitely worrying to the point that for the time being I have unplugged the box from my internal LAN whilst I do more investigating. Any one else seen this behavoiur?

Thanks for reading so far! :)

Oops.. the title should say compromised

It looks like something is misconfigured in your LAN or on your box.
The dbox cannot handle network connection via tuner and cable feed.

mgb said:
It looks like something is misconfigured in your LAN or on your box.
The dbox cannot handle network connection via tuner and cable feed.

Hi mgb,

Nothing wrong with my network or the LAN setup on the box...looks fairly basic to setup the box for a LAN..what do you think has been setup incorrectly?

:)

Analyse the packets you don't trust. There should be address datas in the header.

mgb said:
Analyse the packets you don't trust. There should be address datas in the header.

Packet Analysis wont be an issue -i have lots of software to do that...but the question still stands ...where the hell are these devices?...which naturally leads onto the question as to what the mechanism of transport of the cable tv network is...TCP or whatever...

I dont have any knowledge on this....the tv pictures you see on your TV must come via some transport mechanism through from the CC's over the cable surely...multicast or with the new vod...unicast possibly...but does anyone know?

There should be source and destination in the address headers of your network packets.
The tv channels are broadcasted via DVB (DigitalVideoBroadcasting) techniques.

Back