Security cameras for home

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.anyone suggest some decent security cameras for my house.. I want 2 at the front and 2 at the back...was thinking of wireless type with app on phone to monitor...any suggestions...?
Cheers

I've got new Reolink wired system. NVR and x4 off 8mp cameras (4K). Free phone app as well on Google Play. They sell systems with WiFi cameras as well.

Other brands to consider, Hikvision and Swann.

AVOID wifi cameras, theyre more trouble than running a cable will ever be

have a look on amazon for swann 1080 PIR camera systems, DVR, 1tb HDD, 4x cameras with night vision, all for around £250

their new 4k enforcer cameras are shit, no night vision, they have a white LED to illuminate things in the night, and flashing red and blue LEDs to scare the bad guys away, every one of those systems ive installed has had an issue with at least 1 camera within the first few weeks

EVERY wireless camera system ive ever installed has ended up being replaced with a wired system, wifi cameras still need a constant wired power connection, so you still need to run a cable to them

very simple app to setup and use

(ive been installing swann stuff for over a decade, as well as other stuff, but swann is the most user friendly and best price for what you get)

Hikvision is also a great make, but costs more, and the app isnt as user friendly

unv - uniview - 4ch nve with 5mp turrets 2.8mm

Says weather proof so I would think so ?

they come with small covers, with a rubber grommet, that twists together, then screws up at the ends to form a seal around the cables

I use hikvision, 2mb cameras on a simple 104g box and an old Skybox green 1tb HD in it. Everything under £200.

Tip if your using ethernet POE get full copper cable no ACC (Aliminium copper coated). Its about £15-£20 dearer per 100m roll but your only putting it in once.

OK guys gonna install these camera kit tomorrow...I was wondering, if the ethernrt cable isn't long enough , can I just use any etherrnet cable via an ethernet extender ? As I have a few 5m and 10m ethernet cables lying around?...or do they have to be the correct ones becsusr the swann ethernet cables in the box are Poe ethernet cables?
Ta

Solid copper would be the best cable, like silverdale said, otherwise you will be paying to keep the spiders warm.

To be honest I reckon I'll be short by about 3 or 4 metres, since it comes with 4 x 18m lengths of ethernet cable I'm sure it's weatherproof ...ta

You could just buy a few joiners and if you are sure you have pure copper cables then you can buy 3m copper cables I’ve got a tm 8 ch system am fitting now but found some woodworm in loft so spraying that before I finish fitting but I’ve got three cameras fitted one has 20 m tm cable which am going to cut in half other two are normal 10m cat 5 and can’t see any difference in picture quality I have 2mp Sony Poe
But not sure if the TM cables are pure copper or not not marked anyway

Last edited:
I usually suggest to go with Dahua, Hikvision or Unview. Steer clear of Swann as you get what you pay for.. cheap parts, plastic cameras, average quality video from the cameras. Although I have upgraded a swann system with just a Dahua DVR and the image was noticably better.
Don't put in wireless cams if you can avoid it!

AVOID wifi cameras, theyre more trouble than running a cable will ever be

have a look on amazon for swann 1080 PIR camera systems, DVR, 1tb HDD, 4x cameras with night vision, all for around £250

their new 4k enforcer cameras are shit, no night vision, they have a white LED to illuminate things in the night, and flashing red and blue LEDs to scare the bad guys away, every one of those systems ive installed has had an issue with at least 1 camera within the first few weeks

EVERY wireless camera system ive ever installed has ended up being replaced with a wired system, wifi cameras still need a constant wired power connection, so you still need to run a cable to them

very simple app to setup and use

(ive been installing swann stuff for over a decade, as well as other stuff, but swann is the most user friendly and best price for what you get)

Hikvision is also a great make, but costs more, and the app isnt as user friendly
I bought the swann 4k Enforcer just after christmas. I can confirm that it does have night vision. The white light is an option in the app to see coulour at night👍

I bought the swann 4k Enforcer just after christmas. I can confirm that it does have night vision. The white light is an option in the app to see coulour at night👍
Can you see that nice Lady at number 32 nice and clear now D1GG3R. I didn't see much last time I stayed at your house. 😔

I suggest that you consider your preferred platform to use the cameras and manage recordings from the mobile, and the choose a model. At the end, if you use Apple, compatible cameras with Home Kit will be your best option.

Back