Scot Arthur crowned WBO champion

tonks1982

DW Regular
Reaction score
Scotland's Alex Arthur is the new WBO super-featherweight champion after Joan Guzman decided to give up his crown and step up to the lightweight division.

A title fight between the two was due to have taken place on 3 May but Guzman failed to secure a visa in time.

Arthur had been the 'interim' champion after beating Koba Gogoladze in July.

"I'm delighted with the decision by the WBO to give me full world champion status but I felt that I won the title when I beat Gogoladze," said Arthur.

"I'm confident that I would have beaten Guzman had the fight been rescheduled but I believe that I am among the elite super-featherweights and want to prove myself as the best out there.

"I'm proud to be Edinburgh's first world champion for 30 years, and am looking forward to making the first defence of my title. My reign begins now."

Promoter Frank Warren said he expected Arthur to be a "long-term world champion".

He added: "I'm working hard at the moment to deliver a new date and challenger for Alex."

When Arthur was named the WBO's interim champion it effectively meant he was considered the organisation's number one contender.

Back