sciatica help.

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys - ive had a herniated disc, slip disc, bulging disc, call it what you like but ive had a mri scan 6 months ago i heave a disc bulge in the lower back pressing on a nerve. ive had this sciatica for about a year and half, initially it was bad but after regular exercises and going to gym etc,,it gradually has become less and less painful..up until a week ago it was almost gone and i was hoping to go back to work in a few weeks time as ive been off work for some time. However a few days ago i was doing my normal strectching and cardio exercises in the gym when i managed to pull or twinge a muscle in my back, as you guys probably have pulled a muscle or twinge in the back if you go gym etc.. anyway the next day i could barely get out of bed, was on my hands and knees trying to get out of bed, coughing , sneezing very painful. im not too concerned about the back pain as i have pulled a muscle in my back many times as im a keen gym goer and its part and parcel that you do get the ocassional niglle or pulled muscle in the back, no doubt it will get better in a week or so. My main concern is that my sciatica has returned to almost untolerable level as it was when i first started to get it, cant sit on settee, cant drive , constant pain all the time in my right buttock, running all the way down to calf muscle, but nothing in the foot..have i made my sciatica worse or is this because i have pulled or twinged a muscle in my back? i was hoping to go back to work soon but this has come as a setback. Ive booked an appointment with gp on wednesday, i keep thinking i may have made the disc bulge worse. Can only sit in a certain position if i have my leg also in acertain psition..im dreading the worse as this is not what i wanted. I was thinking of going to A and E as i think its gone really bad, from nearly clearing up to going back to the way it was. Im hoping that this recent pulled or twinged muscle in the back is whats making it feel worse..ive been waiting for a neurosurgeons opinion for nearly 6 months, and finally had an appoitment at QE last saturday, neurosurgeon didnt recommend an operation as i told him it ws getting a lot better, he suggested i see my gp for an epidural sterid injectin in the spine..will see my gp on wednesday..what you guys think..ta

7b02ab1044a0d8f25b6cb340d7620c77--sciatica-cure-exercises-for-sciatica.jpg
I can only sympathise m8 as it happened to me a few year ago. Took ages to clear up with stretching.The only stretch I found that sorted me out was the lumber rotation stretch...

Back 54 above.

Not a medical professional so perform at your own risk.

yes i do all those exercises....they do work and it was getting better and better, but this new pulled muscle in the back has set me back..

Suffered with Sciatica for 15 years now, am probably older than you, if it can be fixed believe me do it coz the alternative is s**t, good luck fella

Hey, had mine for a long time, it came to the point had an episode of not been able to walk, 3 days on the bedroom floor pissing in a jug as I couldnt move, like someone stabbing me in the back with a knife if sneezed coughed as you said, got the doc out give me tablets strong ones after about a week was walking alot better, 2 weeks went to see a chiropractor never looked back after that m8, never had a bad episode since that was 10 years ago ish, yes it aint cheap 30 quid a pop 2 times a week for 1 month then dropped it off to once a week and so on, not been for a few years now, so might be worth a try m8 if all else fails.

Focus

thanks guys for advice and instructions on exercises, im no stranger to hard workouts and have an very good cardio workout program, mind you ive toned the cardio down a bit now because of this sciatica. I dont lift heavy weights anymore, too old for that, anyways..done loads of those stretching exercises at the gym today, also using a foam roller to loosen the knots and tensions in my muscle. im gonna ask for the epidural setroid injection from my gp on wednesday...do you need to go hospital or can the gp administer it ?..dont want him hitting the bone in my spine or anything..lol

went to gp today, told him that that the neurosurgeon at QE referred me back to gp for epidural spinal steroid injection, he wasnt very happy as to why he did that , as it should have been him who should have done the injection. Looks like i have to wait for a very long time again as the gps secretary chases up on this. GP gave me some naproxen to take to help with the pain..bah..Humbug !

thanks guys for advice and instructions on exercises, im no stranger to hard workouts and have an very good cardio workout program, mind you ive toned the cardio down a bit now because of this sciatica. I dont lift heavy weights anymore, too old for that, anyways..done loads of those stretching exercises at the gym today, also using a foam roller to loosen the knots and tensions in my muscle. im gonna ask for the epidural setroid injection from my gp on wednesday...do you need to go hospital or can the gp administer it ?..dont want him hitting the bone in my spine or anything..lol

I’ve dealt with sciatic nerve pain and a herniated disc since about 2010. I’ve had a couple rounds of physical therapy and have had the epidural steroid injection I want to say three years back, it did seem to help a little bit. Has your physical therapist recommended side glides? That and doing planks have made a world of difference for me. Hope you find something that works!

My best mate has had the same issue as you.
He swears by acupuncture.
Cut his recovery period down from six months to a month.
Also does a lot of cycling. The combination of gentle stretching and use strengthening the area where the issue is.
Wish you the best as it seems like a pretty crap. Problem to have.

I use acupuncture for neck pain, really helps.
It will not help everyone but definitely worth trying...

I've had back pain on & off since I hurt mine in my early 20's (I'm 55 now) and among the episodes are bouts of sciatica. I've had temporary relief from physio's, osteopaths & chiro's (GP was useless btw), gentle exercise and not lying down to it (when possible) seem to have worked the best for me. But funnily enough I read a good tip recently - if you sleep on your side (which I do) pop a spare pillow between your legs. It relieves pressure on the base of the spine. If you sleep on your back, put the pillow behind your knees, and if you sleep on your front put it under your feet.

I felt that pain donkeys years ago with 2 bad discs due to lifting an engine,my only relief was a chiropractor who cracked my back into its correct location easing the trapped nerve.Last month suffering from pains in my rear due to lack of movement and bad sleep and want to move away from those anti inflammatory drugs to cbd oil which seems to be getting great reviews.

The crack you here is no more than a pocket of air trapped within the disc space not bone, abit like popping bubble wrap. I will give you the best two word advise for back sciatic pain and I dont give a flyer what others say
Yoga
Pilates
strengthen your core and lower back and learn to change your posture either sitting standing or working. Chiropractitioners use this manipulation technique as a quick relief as the try to manipulate the herniated disc back into place therefore relieve the pressure on the sciatic nerve and in turn and the pain but in the long term this won't help you bar empty your pocket and fast.
Simply get some Pilates or Yoga vids for beginners and save your money. I made sure all mine had some seriously fit women in them, the missus said "That's the only friggin reason your doing it 3 times a day !!" :)

How do I know , ? believe you me I know. I could spend an evening boring the pants off you but I wont. If there's a medicine,therapy, alternative remedy, ops galore, for sciatica and back pain I've had it right down from Physio to super strong antidepressant that kill the pain signal to your brain and make you sit there eyes glazed tongue hanging out, oh yes pain free and mind free as well.

Get a Pilates mat, ball, stretch bands, and get it done. It sounds all abit mamby pamby but your only doing it once a day (unless you watch the one's I watched) . I promise you in 6-8 weeks you'll be thanking me plus you might look and feel better body wise and it takes some doing on the quite

Oh and get a bike, cycle up and down any cycle path you can find even if it's only once or twice a week, it's a life changer back pain unless you deal with it head on. Lots think "Oh it's gone now" then it comes back with vengeance as they've not done anything to change life's habits. Do as I say and deal with it now not later

The way i feel at the moment is crap hurried across the road and something twinged in my left ham string and limping all day,for once it was very quiet in the garage>Nipped up to the chemist to try some greenlight cbd oil E50 for a 10ml bottle.

Back