Schedule Task

K

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm fiddling about with my media server which uses plex, problem i have is NordVPN does not allow remote connections so i have to kill vpn when streaming. this IMHO is not ideal as i cant download securely.

I've setup my download client to download between the hours of 00:01 - 06:00..

Im thinking if i get nord to open and close automatically between these times it will solve my problem.

Does anyone have an idea on how to automate this.. ??

Hi,

I'm fiddling about with my media server which uses plex, problem i have is NordVPN does not allow remote connections so i have to kill vpn when streaming. this IMHO is not ideal as i cant download securely.

I've setup my download client to download between the hours of 00:01 - 06:00..

Im thinking if i get nord to open and close automatically between these times it will solve my problem.

Does anyone have an idea on how to automate this.. ??

What OS are you running?

Hi, Running 10 on the server..

I think ive worked something out but it didnt trigger using the /f tags to force close it.. but i believe the path was incorrect.. im gonna run the schedule later with the correct path to confirm its working..

ill get back in touch..

Sussed it..

Using task scheduler i created a schedule to start at a specific time..which started no problem.. VPN was automatically set to connect to a specific server once automatically opened.

Trouble is task scheduler in windows does not give the option to close..

for this you need to create a notepad document and add the following line

taskkill /f /im NordVPN.exe

(file name for the program you wish to close)

Save document "kill NordVPN.bat..

task scheduler select the file as normal with triggers and the program will close at specified time..

Reason i need to do this is i need open ports for plex to broadcast.. having a VPN with Nord stops plex from broadcasting..

I use remote plex everyday to broadcast to 3 family members..

It would be a better set up to have a separate VM/container to run the VPN and download your stuff then another VM/container for plex. That way you can run both all the time.

It would be a better set up to have a separate VM/container to run the VPN and download your stuff then another VM/container for plex. That way you can run both all the time.

Hi, i tried this, didnt work too well.. i may go back into that and try again..

I found a wee problem in this setup whereas teamviewer crashes on the host machine when the /f command for Nord is use..

I'm just in the process of upgrading storage, looking to push to 14tb. once ive done that i may look into maxing out the memory to run a better VM.. but in the meantime its quick fix..

barstewards got me fae downloading the greatest showman and give me a strike.. so need to knock unprotected downloads on the head..

How do, i tried your method.. however i find it imposible.

simply put VM does not allow mounting of drives (does but requires format).. which i cant do..

obv i can load respestive programs but they would all need access to the storage drives

simply put VM does not allow mounting of drives (does but requires format).. which i cant do..

obv i can load respestive programs but they would all need access to the storage drives

Can you not set up a shared folder between VM and host instead of mounting a drive?

Yes you can mount the drives. What ever system you have for your main storage then create a network drive on this and then mount it on the VM. Or you can do what Spectre said and use a shared drive.

I'm not sure exactly what your setup is like so can't advise further.

My initial method worked over a few days, however it had an impact on the plex server which still worked but for some reason it would not allow outbound connections until server was restarted..

I will have another go at the mounting as you mentioned grimeire/spectre.. have to wait until i have some "alone time" as the server doesnt have a dedicated monitor but uses the main tv as its monitor so have to wait until mrs isnt home lol.. but mostly i dial in using teamviewer (Y)

Back