SB4100 Help and Suggestions!!

daddeh

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

First thing first Hi!

Now onto the real purpose of this thread!

I was wondering what is the best way of uping my NTL service? I have an SB4100 on NTL 2MB service and I am looking for more. So far I have tried various different ways of trying to firstly acquire the modem config files - used TCINSO (sp?) etc but none of their tutorials, utilities and suggestions have worked.

I have tried Netboot to access the modded menus on the SB but to no avail either (the unit reset powered on then stalled with the power light illuminated. Then after 5 minutes it reset back to normal settings!)

So the other thing I was looking at is using hackware either Sigma or equivelant.

Now what I need to know is whats best? Is it best to get the config files and then edit them etc or is it just to upload a hack firmware and do it from there?
Any suggestions and help on the matter would be great!

Thanks for your time

Regards

Adam

were you using the right vxWorks.st file for a sb4100 with netboot ?
if you got the hack page then you still need to upgrade firmware to new one of your choice or modem on next boot will default back to previous one

you cant edit the config files, get hackware it has a sniffer for config files built in and the ability to grab and use anyone available

Are you messing with the modem ntl gave you?
I think that's a no-no if you are.
If they did give give you a surfboard?
How long have you had it?
Just intersted to see if they are fazing them out or introducing them into the system?

I am pretty sure it was the right file as I dl'ed it as a part of a package for the SB4100.

Whats the best choice in terms of hackware then? Sigma or the netboot thingy?

@name750: It is an NTL modem but I have not recieved a bill from them in over a year! The reason being they gave me really shit service so I complained and said I would cancel and then they turned around and said they would give me 6 months free service and, a year on I still have the service!

I have the modem about 3 years or so - pretty much when they started introducing the 512K service!!!!

Well I still cant get the vxWorks.st file to take properly?!? Pretty confused now :S

Your getting it for free and you still want more!!!
Oooh luckiiie.
I have'nt got my surfboard yet so i don't know from expearence,but you could use and interface( i think the max233) to add files.
Or a blackcat. It has a window for sb4*** when you start the application.
I've changed frimware etc on my sb5100i 10 times with no trouble.
well appart from it not working.
But thats another story.

Oh dear sorry to hear its not working though sure u will get there!!!

Well I have managed to get the file to stick so I am running on 3mb now and managed to revert back to normal also!!

I know I am a greedy so and so!

Will sniff around and try and find the magic 10mb config so I know I can update to that!!

I still don't quite understand the config's yet.
Probably cos i never actuall done it!!!
On the tcniso they have a section in the members bit (what a dissapointment) were you download config files.
They have a few and only TW and blue yonder. No ntl!! And i think they are all out of date anyhow!!
Ah where was i.
Is it just the name you have to put somewhere or is it an actual piece of ???? whatever?
On the sigma page on a sb5100i it's seems if you got the correct file name,it will sort it self out.
The reason i can't get my head around it, is because it seems to bloody easy!!
I'll believe it when i see it!!
I must visit TW land and have a go.
Anyway ddadeh,,,greed is good. more power grrrrrr!

Well Im on 10mb now!

That was pretty simple really

I know what you mean name750 it does really seem that easy! Sorry if I can't be of much help to ya not sure on the 5100's!

How far are you along??

Back