Saturdays RL Test Match

airliebird58

Inactive User
Reaction score
Deacon retains Great Britain spot
Great Britain boss Brian Noble has kept faith with scrum-half Paul Deacon for Saturday's Gillette Tri-Nations clash with Australia at Wigan's JJB Stadium. The Bulls player will partner club-mate Iestyn Harris at half-back, with Kevin Sinfield moving to loose forward.
The other major change to the starting line-up sees Adrian Morley come in at prop in place of skipper Jamie Peacock, who moves to the second row. The replacements have yet to be named but Richard Horne has been omitted. Noble has also decided to stick with winger Brian Carney, who came in for criticism after the 42-26 loss to New Zealand. But the Lions coach has yet to decide whether to hand a debut to Hull prop Jamie Thackray, who is one of five players in contention for a place on the bench. The odds are Thackray will feature, along with Micky Higham, who would provide cover at both hooker and half-back. That leaves Gareth Ellis, Chev Walker and Lee Gilmour fighting it out for the two other interchange berths.
The match at the JJB Stadium has already been declared a 25,050 sell-out for the second successive year.
Deacon played just 23 minutes of the game against the Kiwis before being replaced by Rob Burrow. "We were 20 points behind and we needed to change some things," explained Noble. "It wasn't a reflection of how he was going. He had no ball at all in the opposition's half so it is a vote of confidence in that respect. "We've looked at all sorts of permutations over the last three weeks. Iestyn's form over the last 12 weeks has been excellent. He showed he is back and ready to go. "Richard Horne is unlucky but it doesn't mean it rules him out of the other two games."
Peacock, who played alongside Deacon and Harris this year, believes his coach has come up with the right combination. "I think it's showed over the last 12 weeks how good they work together," he said. "Playing together at club level helps massively. They do have a good understanding."
Meanwhile, fringe players Stephen Wild and Jon Wilkin will be released from the Great Britain squad to play for England against New Zealand at Warrington on Sunday.
Great Britain: P Wellens (St Helens); B Carney (Wigan), M Gleeson (Warrington), K Senior (Leeds), L Pryce (Bradford); I Harris (Bradford), P Deacon (Bradford); S Fielden (Bradford), K Cunningham (St Helens), A Morley (Sydney Roosters), P Johnson (Bradford), J Peacock (Bradford, capt), K Sinfield (Leeds).
Replacements (from): M Higham (St Helens), J Thackray (Hull), L Gilmour (St Helens), G Ellis (Leeds), C Walker (Leeds).
Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/rugby_league/international_and_australian/4403590.stm
Published: 2005/11/03 13:45:12 GMT
© BBC MMV

I'm not very pleased with the team selection, I think GB may get stuffed on Saturday, no invention at half back, and our illustrious coach has no idea when it comes to flair. But then what do I know?
If I'm wrong I will return to this thread and apologise profusely. I hope I have to as well. :)

Well I return, but not to apologise. GB lost 20-6
We had lots of ball, defended well, but had no idea in attack. So I am thinking of applying for the Coaches job.
Mind you all those lovely well built fellas all over the place........nah the ole ticker wouldnt cope lol. ;)

Back