Satellite in Tenerife ???????

Curly

Inactive User
Reaction score
In between Bro and Mairyhinge. Hold that thought..
Hello folks.
First of all may I apologise for my limited knowledge in this area. I normally hang out in the cable rooms.

I have a collegue who has an apartment in Las Americas, Tenerife, the lucky sod!!
He tells me that he had a local guy install a sat system for him last year.
I belive it has a fixed dish (size unknown) which is aligned with "Nile sat" or so he tells me. He only gets a few odd ball channels.
He has asked me what he would need to do to get the FTA channels including the sky, BBC and ITV ones. Also would he be able to get any "non FTA" ones???
I've done a search on here and not come up with the answers.
He goes out there every few months or so and rents it out the rest of the time, so he can't really keep swapping cards etc.
Do any of you have any suggestions????

Cur1y

if you go to a site called lyngsat you will be able to work out what size dish u need to receive astra at 28 deg east, u dont mention which receiver hes using,if he was to use a sky box then with a ftv card he could access all the free channels including ch4 & 5 but no encrypted ones unless he was to subscribe but the sub would only be for that box.if he was to use a dragon cam in a sat box he could still use the ftv card and subscribe for sky at home for use on his sky box and then when hes in tenerife he takes his card with him allowing him to watch whatever hes subbed for in the uk u may be able to do this with a dreambox without the dragon cam other people on here will know better.incidently theres a satellite shop that stocks dreamboxes aswell as dishes in the area of playa fanabe near the ocean resort hotel and facing the tf1 motorway.

Thanks for that @Gritz. I'll do a search for the site. I don't know what receiver he has and I bet he doesn't either. I've been reading a lot on this site and it seams Technomates are a good bet. Maybe he would be better off buying one of those and sticking it in his suitcase.
His place is in Playa Fanabe near the ocean palace hotel. I've been to it myself but before he got the dish etc. Some people ask if they will be able to watch corrie whilst they are there before they book it off him, so I think he's seeing this as a selling point. Hmmmmmmm maybe I could tap him up for a week in it and take a few spanners and a compass :eater:

Cur1y

eh count me in and ill bring my wire cutters,make a change from this shitty bolton weather

yeah, it must be at least a 2 man job!!!!
sounds like a jolly boys outin to me.
His place sleeps up to 6, so there's room for 4 more!!!
We'll need someone to foot the ladder, someone to get the beer...........:eater:

Where abouts are you?????
I'm in A B m8

to get bbc/itv in tenerife will require a ~3 metre diameter dish, very large. So it might not be suitable for an apartment. Before you adbise on purchasing a technomate I would advise that its best to look in the local paper out there. I know there are 're-broadcasting' pirate systems and he may find something more suitable? You just have a small microwave aerial and pay a small subscription, but all your fav channels including some that are subscription ones.

Other than that a technomate will give choice but its not that suitable for rental as you will have to keep calling out an engineer to fix it when customers lock/break it. It still wont get bbc/itv out there though.
Regards.

ps, if its a 3m on an apartment block roof then you'll need more than 2 people :) no joke.

Thanks guys.
There is, I belive, a guy on La Gomera which is a small island off the coast of Tenerife that is broadcasting across to Tenerife like you just said m8.
As I understand it, he charges £500 to set it all up and then £90 a year subs.
Sounds like nice work if you can get it to me!!!
Apparently he used to do a similar thing in Gran Canaria but was shut down.
I don't think my mate would fancy his chances with him, but there may be someone more reputable out there.
I'll put you down for the beer run, Pink m8!!
Wots DD like with heights ????? :eater:

Thanks for the link. Just checked it out. Have you seen the size of that dish in the photo????????
I think were gonna need more people!!!!!!!!

I'll see my mate in the mornin and tell him what you guys have said.
It's very interesting in the satellite section. You've sown a seed now!!!! I might have to get one to have a play with now !!!!:eater:

Thanks again

Cur1y.

Back