Sata To IDE Problem

yottabit

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Hi there, i bought a dell the other week which is sata throughout, i have a 400gb hdd that was IDE and i wanted to install this in the dell but had to buy one of the following:
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/memamon/R0139072-021.jpg
So i got that this morning and fitted the 400gb hdd in the dell with the adapter, the sata from the adapter to the motherboard is plugged in but the power socket (the white socket on the pic above) will not fit anywhere as there are only sata power cables not ide power cables, so i was wondering what i need to do to get power to the hdd? would i need to buy a ide to sata power cable converter etc?
Answers greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Nick.

So why can't you just plug in your 4 pin IDE power plug?

Becase there is no where for it to be plugged in, there is only sata power cables in the base unit and plugging that ide cable into the back of the hdd wont work and if it fitted it wouldnt work anyway, so i have bought one of them adapters and no what i should have to do when it arrirves hopefully lol

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adaptec-Power-cable-power-internal/dp/B00009WNQ6/ref=pd_sbs_ce_title_3[/ame]

this is the 1 u want and its only 1p yes thats right 1p

cheap as chips
lol

Well it arrived this morning, i installed it with the following methods stated above and no luck so i tried to unplug the sata power cable from the adapter that i have just recieved then the bleedin thing breaks flimsy thing so i give up and i'll just buy a knew sata hdd and try and flog me ide one, thanks for all your help anyway :Cheers:

hi mate
you are wasting your time with this IDE to Sata converter. It also did not work for me too, you better of buying a HHD caddy

I had it working but i had an ide mobo and sata hard drive.I decided to get a new case for my computer and the generic psu knackered my hard drive. Thats the only reason i aint usiing it now.

Back