Hardware SATA Hard Drive mechanically faulty

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife's boss (not me :) ) said he's just been quoted £500-£600 to retrieve data from a mechanically faulty SATA hard drive. I'm not 100% sure but what the fault is but by all accounts its power dead.

Is that about right or ripping him off as it seems awful dear to me

depends on the size of drive , and yes it can be very expensive

if it was my drive i would try software or if its power dead get the exact same sata drive and change the pcb over ect

must be important files on his drive , but all ways back up important files , just make a image of the drive and keep safe

£500-£600 is not to bad price

OK , thanks i will let him know. I am going to try it in my caddie set up just to confirm its definatly dead

My wife's boss (not me :) ) said he's just been quoted £500-£600 to retrieve data from a mechanically faulty SATA hard drive. I'm not 100% sure but what the fault is but by all accounts its power dead.

The key word is highlighted above. Swapping out the board would do nothing

While I'm on the subject of faulty drives, I have one an old WD2500jb which doesn't power up. It shows in Device Manager but it doesn't make a noise. I'm sure this had tonnes of photo's from years ago but I don't know if its the logic board or the what.
If I buy the nearest make model I can to this would it boot up if I swapped out the logic board ?.

While I'm on the subject of faulty drives, I have one an old WD2500jb which doesn't power up. It shows in Device Manager but it doesn't make a noise. I'm sure this had tonnes of photo's from years ago but I don't know if its the logic board or the what.
If I buy the nearest make model I can to this would it boot up if I swapped out the logic board ?.

Sometimes is possible fix this machanical faulty ( heads stooped at park area) by carefull operations with small plastic tool. In clean room open the cover of hdd and try move heads block. You can find a lot of movies on youtube. Regards and lucky

I've ordered the same PCB serial from China see if it's that , it was only £10 so worth a go. A guy on ebay from the UK wanted £50 for a 250gb hd dated 2004. I offer £30 and he said Sorry but £45 is the minimum I told him to fook off grand style

thats not a bad price here is a quote we got for a client. €866 for a 250GB HDD and the price went up the bigger the HDD

viber image.jpg

That's feckin scary, I wish I could do it,money for old rope

Back