SATA hard drive HD for a tm800

special

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello

can anyone help me to identify any SATA hard drive that will work well with the TM800; if that is possible?

I have tried a 250gb seagate st925082 (too big i think)

and a 80gb fujitsu mhv2080bh.

The receiver will see both drives now and again but it can take about 5 reboots to find.

I have tried 2 images so far that give the same problem and am happy with TM800-DWiQ-16-07-11 but would like to get the internal drive working, if i can

You shouldn't have issues with most drives under 120GB. Just use the USB adapter and you can use any drive, well worth the loss of the front USB.

Thanks for the replies,
not sure about the initialising the drive, as the sata drive is not seen after boot to be initialised or mounted as far as I can see.
If any one can tell me different I will give it a try
You are correct about being able to use the front USB Abu, and that is how I have it working now.
I just have these 2 SATA hard drives sat here unused and a receiver that won't recognise them.
The 80gb Fujitsu should work; but the TM800 will not find it;
I don't know if is the same as a normal PC but on boot the BIOS should find all I/O devices, if it is, then this is only happening about once in 5 re-boots?
I saw one post on this matter that said the drive had to be low ampage but I don't know if this is true.
Someone must have a drive in a Technomate TM-800 that works every time?

Thanks for the replies,
not sure about the initialising the drive, as the sata drive is not seen after boot to be initialised or mounted as far as I can see.
If any one can tell me different I will give it a try
You are correct about being able to use the front USB Abu, and that is how I have it working now.
I just have these 2 SATA hard drives sat here unused and a receiver that won't recognise them.
The 80gb Fujitsu should work; but the TM800 will not find it;
I don't know if is the same as a normal PC but on boot the BIOS should find all I/O devices, if it is, then this is only happening about once in 5 re-boots?
I saw one post on this matter that said the drive had to be low ampage but I don't know if this is true.
Someone must have a drive in a Technomate TM-800 that works every time?

These recievers are very flakey and very hit and miss for PVR with internal hard disk..it's ridiculous that you cant use internal hard disks above 120GB woth internal SATA, if you've already tried USB to SATA adaptor (which means you have to disconnect the front USB ports), and it still doesnt work, then of it's still under warranty contact Technmate and ask for a refund or repair. If it's not under warranty...get rid of it on ebay as quick as you can !
You are correct in saying the hardware is at fault...in not being able to detect hard discs on 90% of boots. The hard disc issues are one of the well known and documented issues on the long list of problems with this box..

Sorry, I am not understanding you Special or maybe I did not explain correctly.

The SATA adapter circumvents the onboard sata connector. You end up having the drive inside the STB with the the USB to sata adapter. This works with any size HDD. Is this not working for you?

TM-800.JPG

Hope you can see the attached picture.
Bit confused now; are we saying that the box will see an 80gb SATA HD when installed internally.
But only if the USB connection at "1" (front) is disconnected?
USB connection "2" (rear) is not removable
Or is it that 90% of the time it doesn't matter what internal SATA HD is installed the box will not see it?

You do not use the onboard sata port. The drivers are not correct. You use a USB to sata adapter.

If you can get a refund. TM single will be good replacement. Otherwise Here is the guide. The original name was "How to install usb adoptor"

Attachments

• TM800 usb to sata adapter.rar
    742.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
A refund is not going to be possible I'm afraid.

Thanks for the instruction Abu, but I don't want to have to take the box to pieces every time I want to load a new image as I understand that new image loads can only be done on the front USB. It also seems that the Picon download is set to only write to the rear USB as well, so something would have to go in there anyway so if going down the USB road I would use the rear port.
So it seems to me that the USB adapter is not worth installing.

With regards to this internal SATA; drive I put the 80gb Fujitsu back in and have notice an improvement in the detection of the drive if it is the only drive (no USB attachments at all). This may be due to luck but I will persist with it to see long term.

Would really like to know if anyone has tried a Hitachi, Samsung or solid state drive in the internal bay, you never know?

A refund is not going to be possible I'm afraid.

Thanks for the instruction Abu, but I don't want to have to take the box to pieces every time I want to load a new image as I understand that new image loads can only be done on the front USB. It also seems that the Picon download is set to only write to the rear USB as well, so something would have to go in there anyway so if going down the USB road I would use the rear port.
So it seems to me that the USB adapter is not worth installing.

With regards to this internal SATA; drive I put the 80gb Fujitsu back in and have notice an improvement in the detection of the drive if it is the only drive (no USB attachments at all). This may be due to luck but I will persist with it to see long term.

Would really like to know if anyone has tried a Hitachi, Samsung or solid state drive in the internal bay, you never know?

I doubt that the make/model or hard disk is going to make any difference they should all comply with SATA standards and protocols.
I dont know the exact problem with the TM800 and hard discs, but it may be the hardware or chipset drivers not implementing SATA properly, i.e: not complying with the SATA standards that the rest of the industry produces SATA devices to. Hence regardless of make/model you'll probably have the same issues.
If internal hard disk is important to you and the USB adaptor/loss of front USB is an issue, then this reciever is no good for you. Sell it for as much as you can get and buy something else..

There are many posts on the forum describing the faults of the TM800. Pity you were not able to read them before you got it. It may be an idea for you to spend some time going through them. TM were poor and there is some hostility, so you will have to sieve through quite a bit of distraction.

Anyway... the members on this forum including mods are here to help you to get the best possible out of your receiver. Even though it is somewhat limited.

1. You do not need to take the receiver apart to flash the image. You can use the rear USB too.

2. You can manually transfer picons to the USB device. By ftp or connecting to PC

3. I would strongly recommend you create and use a swap file.

4. Once you've read the other threads, you will realise that there are limitations. So do not push it too much.

5. Once you have setup the receiver how you like, make sure you make a backup image so that it is easy to get back to where you were last.

You will get a really good quality picture out of the receiver. However....
The HD audio will be low compared to SD - Change the volume
Occasionally the audio will be out out of sync - a quick channel change fixes it.
It plays lots of media files.

Thanks very much gsmtech it would appear I'm flogging a dead horse here; it's just like Abu says though, the picture quality is good and I do feel a certain loyalty to the brand due to previous purchases, so it seem hard to let it go when there are some good things about the receiver.
Also for me there is more fun in the workings of the box than the programs they provide

The Audio, to me anyway, on the HD broadcasts seems to improve when Dolby is deselected.

The media files will play and give good quality picture but the failure to "pause" does piss me off.
Anyway n anyway, thank you both for your help and advice, and I might post other problems that can't be fixed just for the banter.

I have just bought a sata 160gb drive for a friends tm800, hooked up via on board sata connection, the tm sees the drive ok and I can record on it, takes a few mins to stop once i press the stop button. My problem is when i hit the playback button, which is the volume on the remote control i can add it to playlist, but nothing happens, am I in the wrong menu? or what is the problem?

I have just bought a sata 160gb drive for a friends tm800, hooked up via on board sata connection, the tm sees the drive ok and I can record on it, takes a few mins to stop once i press the stop button. My problem is when i hit the playback button, which is the volume on the remote control i can add it to playlist, but nothing happens, am I in the wrong menu? or what is the problem?

Hello Kev
so are you accessing the recorded list through the "media" button or the "list" button?

I think so, when i hit the volume button on the remote it comes up with add to play list and it allows me to select the sata drive and select the recorded item and add to playlist, it shows like a music/cd symbol at the bottom on the screen, but when i play it comes up with a black screen??

Thanks

Hello Kev
so are you accessing the recorded list through the "media" button or the "list" button?

Hello Kev
when i hit my volume key it changes the volume!
so, wrong remote? - reload image? - box faulty? etc...not sure

Hello Kev
when i hit my volume key it changes the volume!
so, wrong remote? - reload image? - box faulty? etc...not sure

The remote does seem different than mine, maybe I should try a different image. i'm using a DW image.

There are two sets of volume keys. The ones on the center around the OK button do not work, use the other set.

Back