Sat and media center?

magicalbeef

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
im looking at adding some new toys to my kit, im going to build a new media center, and i want to invest in a new sat system. quetion is, can i use sat on the media center system like you can with terrestrial tv? ie can it tune in individual channels or will it just pick up whatever channel is selected on the sat reciever? as im ideally looking for one device to integrate it all as im sick of remotes :)

You need a DVB-S card.

Other than that I've no idea but pinkhelmets, digidude and the rest of the sat room users might be able to help...

DVB-S does not work with encrypted channels on Sky if I remember.

Else if you buy the MCE remote/kit then you get an IR sender that Media Centre can control. So you end up with one remote and it will change the sky channels for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that OP did not mention sky but it the main sat system for this country which is why I mentioned it.

Also I am aware of the softcam options but they are not legal and they are work in progress so I ddin't want to mention them as a solution. Also are they Vista media centre compatiable which I did not think they were.

So basicallly if OP is not interested in Sky then have a look at DVB-S cards and if OP is interested in Sky, not worried about vista media centre and the legality then have a look over the sat forum.

In fact I would say have a look at the sat forum anyway as there is DVB-S information there.

cheers for the responses guys, guna head on over to the sat forums. not really looking at sky, prefer one of the systems to get footy etc on as i have ****** which has most of the decent stuff on sky anyways:)

I know that OP did not mention sky but it the main sat system for this country which is why I mentioned it.

Also I am aware of the softcam options but they are not legal and they are work in progress so I ddin't want to mention them as a solution. Also are they Vista media centre compatiable which I did not think they were.

So basicallly if OP is not interested in Sky then have a look at DVB-S cards and if OP is interested in Sky, not worried about vista media centre and the legality then have a look over the sat forum.

In fact I would say have a look at the sat forum anyway as there is DVB-S information there.
Mate, I didn't mean to sound like I was having a go. I rewrote that post about 3 times to try and make it not sound argumentative.

As I implied, I've no experience in sat/sky so had to double check after your post... Link and search term was posted purely so that magicalbeef didn't have to look for them.

I allready have a media pc set-up which came with a dvb-s card in it.
I've just ordered all my sat gear (dish, motor, twin lnb and a TM6900) which is due to arrive on Tuesday.
My Idea is to connect the twin lnb to both the TM6900 and the dvb-s card.
I'm guessing it may take me a while to get it all set up and tracking the arc etc, but when I do I'll let you know what it's like with media centre.
I've allready had a play with media centre options and found that you can configure it to use sat and cable as well as tv etc.

One thing I can't find out though is how to configure the dvb-s card.
It gave me the option at original set up of the pc, but I chose the "feck about with it later" option and now can't find it again lol.

Curly

Mate, I didn't mean to sound like I was having a go. I rewrote that post about 3 times to try and make it not sound argumentative.

As I implied, I've no experience in sat/sky so had to double check after your post... Link and search term was posted purely so that magicalbeef didn't have to look for them.

No problems, you didn't sound like you were having a go.

I should have queried what the requirment with regard to sky was. I haven't used DVB-S myself but I have read quiet a bit about it as I was planning on setting up a system till I moved to VM.

Back