Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 Overheating?

Evastar

Inactive User
Reaction score
My son's gaming pc has a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 which he has heard is prone to overheating, has anyone heard of this problem with this card before and what do i need to do to fix it?

There are quite a few graphics cards stress test utilities out there. Run one and check GPU temp (shouldn't be much over 50C) and fan speed (around 2,000 rpm on full load). Also you will start seeing image corruption if there is a overheating problem.

The card isn't actually overheating, but he has been told by a number of people that it is prone to it, and it's something to do with the heatsink?

So i was wondering is it easy to fix and what's the best kind of thermal paste to use?

Eva the cards come with a fan on it that it should be able to handle so if your son has not overclocked his card then it should be okay.....I have a Radeon 4870 on mine and I've actually underclocked mine because I still get quality performance but it's an extra 10 degrees saved on the card....now my card never goes above 70 degrees under full load it always stays in the 60's. I'm no expert but I've read that under full load the card doesn't want to be in the 70's at any point, but how accurate this is I've no idea.

Last edited:
It goes up to 115 degrees celsius? And he says he's underclocked it because it's running so hot.

Well it seems to be a problem with the 4850, he's been reading up on it, and i just googled it there and it does have quite a few items on google about it.

So basically he needs to remove the plastic coating from the heatsink and needs thermal paste, where do i buy this and what brand would you recommend?

Honestly I have no idea lol....also honestly I'm not sure it's wise to get involved with that kind of thing if you aren't sure what you're doing because you may end up in a worse situation with the best of intentions. I done it loads of times lol n wish I hadn't bothered. ;)

If you just want to clean and repaste the heatsink then Arctic Silver V is generally the one to get, and kits are available from ebay: ArctiClean 60ml & Arctic Silver 5 Kit on eBay (end time 27-Jul-10 19:27:56 BST) (the trick for Arctic Silver is to use sparingly, a 2mm line across the face of heatsink is enough).

If wants a better cooler, and has the room in the case, the Accelero S1 Rev2, Fanless VGA Cooler with Turbo Module, Cooling Aid for Accelero S1 Rev2 is one I often see recommended.

Failing that I can personally recommend the Accelero Twin Turbo Pro VGA cooler - provided you follow the included instructions it is very easy to fit.

Back