Samaras completes Celtic switch

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Greek striker Georgios Samaras has signed a three-year contract with Scottish champions Celtic.

The 23-year-old impressed Bhoys boss Gordon Strachan when he was on loan from Manchester City last season.

City bought Samaras from Dutch side Heerenveen for £6m in January 2006 and have made a substantial loss in offloading the Greek international.

Celtic have also been given permission by French side Auxerre to speak to 24-year-old defender Gabriel Tamas.

Samaras said the influence of manager Gordon Strachan and "family atmosphere" at Celtic had persuaded him to stay at the club.

"Celtic are one of the best teams in Europe, with a very distinguished football manager," he told Celtic's official website.

"His unique way and unconditional desire to see me in his squad persuaded me to sign for the club.

"The same goes for the fans. They showed their support to me and with their dedication and excitement, they helped me decide that this is the right club for me.

"The important element for my decision, however, was the fact that there is a family atmosphere around here.

"We all respect each other and help each other, there is understanding and tolerance and these are all necessary ingredients for the success of a club and for the personal development of a football player.

"I am waiting for the start of the new season so I can help my team to repeat the successes of the last season. With the help of the fans, it is my view that we will achieve great things."

Samaras scored six goals for Celtic last season, although he failed to break up the first-choice strike partnership of Scott McDonald and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink.

He played for Greece at Euro 2008 and was then given clearance not to travel with the rest of the Manchester City squad to Germany for pre-season training.

He was signed by former City boss Stuart Pearce and went on to score only 12 goals for the club.

Samaras quickly fell out of favour when Sven-Goran Eriksson replaced Pearce as manager last summer, making only five league appearances last season before moving to Glasgow in the January transfer window.

Stoke, Hull, Lazio, Besiktas, Feyenoord and Werder Bremen were also reported to have been interested in landing the forward.

Last edited:
but you might end up with worse.

Celtic's Lee Naylor is waiting to see if a proposed £2m move to Roy Keane's Sunderland will go ahead,

Don't know much about this player, can you shed any light on his abilities if any?

what abilities the guy is a fud.

So looks like keane signing him on the basis of he played with him at celtic!, i think we should try for george mccartney again a 5M bid and his services should be ours, i also think its about time keane looked overseas for players as the market here is somewhat extortionate.

So looks like keane signing him on the basis of he played with him at celtic!.

you might get big Bobo if that's the case. It has also been confirmed Bobo Balde has been told he can leave on a free transfer.

his wages at celtic are £28,000 a week to warm the bench

Not sure about bobo we wanted him last season and he turned us down to stay at celtic and also we are close to signing a romanian centre back Dorin Goian with jonny evans a maybe, we where also linked with shittu not long ago (GOD NO!).

if i was a celtic fan id be disapointed in this signing hes not up to much in truth is he? but i suppose its value in todays market, prob cost pennies

Back