s8 not connecting to any wifi overseas

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi - my daughter took my s8 overseas to the UAE. The problem is that the phone does not connect to any wifi. she has reset the phone to factory settings and still it doent connect to any wifi, not even the one she has at her apartment. The option to switch on the wifi is greyed out and cannot turn it on. anyone has had this problem. The phone was working perfectly here in the UK before she left and it was also unlcoked as well. any ideas?

Found this might help?
  1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen.
  3. When “SAMSUNG” appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
  7. Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.
  8. Uninstall apps that are causing a problem.
If the Wi-Fi switch is enabled while in this mode, turn it on and leave it at that and then reboot your phone in normal mode. This should fix the problem, however, if it remains, then you have no other option but to reset your phone.

thanks shaun127 ...but the phone has been reset to factory settings, she doeasnt have any apps installed...i suppose ill have to wait till she gets back here in the uk in the next week or so i can see whats wrong, but the phone was working perfectly here in the uk..ive sent her the info anyway..

Was it unlocked from new or did you have it unlocked? I have an S6 which I had unlocked by the local 'Asian corner shop', and it now has wifi issues; it does come on but takes ages and forgets networks every time it re-boots.

hi guys just an update..my s8 is booked for a repair on tuesday, sending it to samsung via UPS..i came across THIS regarding sd card mounting and unmounting..i followed it , my system status is now showing "official" and the wifi and blutooth are now working....but when i take the sd card out, the wifi and bluetooth dont work...something is not right with this phone...also

Think I found the problem..it's the simtray...when I put in a SD card...then unmount the SD card and reboot the phone..the Wi-Fi can be enabled...when I takeout the SD card and reboot the phone the problem remains..very strange that..also with the SD card inserted the phone status is official...when SD card is removed phone status is custom..the sim tray is very hard to open and close, it is not seated properly..without a SD card I can't get Wi-Fi connection only 4g. This hasn't be something that Samsung done last time it was in repair for simtray and SD card not being recognized issues..

well my s8 has been repaired by samsung, no questions asked regarding phone status as custom , iguess they must have found that they made a cock up on the repair previously, anyway will see when i get it on wednesday via ups standard, been shipped today, doubt ill get it tommorow and duoe to the xmas break, looks like earliest is wednesday..

its a company called Anovo in norwich that does the repairs for samung, im going to ring them after the festive break and requet details off all work done to my s8....just for my reference so that i know what has been done to my phone , in case i have to send it again.

update - got my samsung s8 back yesterday, all working well, bluetooth, wifi etc...im assuming they have repalced the sim tray issue as it wasnt seating properly, seats properly now...but still seems a little stiff when trying to open the sim tray with the sim removal tool , doesnt seem to pop out all the way, just a little, enought to use your finger nails to pull it out completely..they must have reflashed the phone, as the phone was locked again and icouldnt use my sim, luckily, i still had the unlock code for the phone..

My s8 has been fixed..all working.sim tray seats properly but doesn't pop out when trying to open, just enough to get your fingernails under to pull it open..they locked the phone again , had to unlock it..phone status is official..

Back