S-Video Output Hlp

faisalpandu

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hello dunno is this is the correct place. i have got a sony laptop which as a s-video output. i would like to connect my laptop to my tv via the s video so i can watch movies on tv. the question is does the laptop screen shows the movie as well as the tv or is the movie shown on tv only with the laptop screen shut down.

thanks

It depends on the software my laptop uses a hot key and will give you one the other (TV) or both together. If your laptop has a icon on the task bar you can usually do the same from there one the other or both depending on the settings but I will say you will have to reduce the screen resolution to a lower than normal size or you may have everything so small you cant read/see it. Hope this helps.

thanks for the reply mate have found the solution for display can choose to have it on both or one. I was wondering what is the quality like when using s video cable is it as dvd quality.

S-video should give you the same quality as standard SCART - NB not RGB SCART - it just won't carry sound and the maximum resolution is SD PAL, which is 768x576. Setting the resolution of the laptop to 800x600 will give you 'overscan' on the TV - where the image gets cropped to fit the screen: You'll loose 12 pixels from the top and bottom (24 in total), and 16 pixels from the left and right hand sides (32 in total).

If its an LCD or Plasma TV see if it has a VGA port to be able to use the native resolution of your TV.

Hlp Plz

i have tried the s-video Hlconnection from laptop to pc but it does not work. i get a picture ov but it is very blurry no ideas why any suggestion would be helpful. i have done a bit of reasearch and found that there is VGA to RCA componet video adpater to connect to tv. beacuse i have a vga connection on lpatop would this be a better option where i connect vga in laptop and use RCA component in TV.

P.S My tv is a standard tv and which has scart, RCA and s-video connections. My laptop has HDMI, VGA and S video connections. if someone has any suggestions on what would be the best connection possible on the scenario above.

thanks

I've posted these before, but don't have one myself: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=averkey&source=15&SD=Y

Its blurry because your TV is either compressing a 800x600 or stretching a 640x480 image to fit the screen.

In my admittedly limited experience, you will never get PC quality image display from an SD TV over s-video, composite or SCART. I'd only recommend connecting your PC/laptop to you TV if you want to watch downloaded films on a larger screen and you haven't got a standalone DivX player, surfing the net is an ugly experience - except for perhaps watching videos from youtube et al.

svideo blurr

blurred picture is most common for laptops as they dont have the power to produce a high quality picture like a desktop/tower pc.

your best bet to get video oc to your tv from laptop is to get a convertor box to convert 15pin d-sub to scart or RGB providing you have a pc monitor output

you can get one from maplins for around £100 yes they are expensive but they do the job well no messin with software just plug and go :proud:

i bought one 3 years ago cost me £169 from maplins still going strong and by god it was worth it

Back