Routers

Anything running Tomato VPN.

I use the (older, but still awesome) Asus RT-N66U. If you need AC, they make an AC version too. Load up Tomato by Shibby and you've got a stable workhorse with tons of configuration options.

I use the (older, but still awesome) Asus RT-N66U. If you need AC, they make an AC version too. Load up Tomato by Shibby and you've got a stable workhorse with tons of configuration options.

I had the same one running DD-WRT, problem with this router is as soon as you go above 150-200Mb (I think thats the limit despite the advertised speeds) it can't always handle the speed/throughput due to the onboard processor and the build.

Stay away from Netgear, had two of the Nighthawk R8500 recently, one was DOA and the other died after a FW upgrade and after issues with several other 'Netgear' devices (Arlo Cameras, Switches, APs), I swore I would never use that piece of crap company for anything again.

Take a look at Ubiquiti.

why not use a PI and run openvpn on it. you can then use it to act as router.

tonnes of guides online about it

Yes a PI will do the same, you could also use one that will run merlin, it's like tomato but a different flavour.

Hey peepz
Currently running virmin super hub 3
Looking to get a better mid range router
Was looking at Netgear x6 8000 or x6s 8000p
Any ideas?
thanks

I personally like Asus as the GUI on them is really good especially for non tech savvy people. Obviously there are a lot of routers out there you can flash with a homebrew alternative and if you are looking at going down that route then look at picking something on the bay cheap.
Probably any router you purchase will be better than the VM router you currently have.

you know Shibby stopped releasing updates last year, however a someone else took this up and now its called Fresh Tomato

"freshtomato.org"

Back