Router connected to router

DrXerox

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm in need of a bit of help if you can guys.

I have a small office network that uses a Barricade smc7008br, wired router to connect all pcs on the network and the wan port is connected to an adsl modem.

This is an 8 port router that has now reach capacity, so I decided to go wireless for any additional pcs on the network.

I have bought a Dlink DL524 wireless router. This has 4 lan ports plus 1 wan port and is of course wireless.

My question is, how do I connect these two routers together to expand my existing network. All pcs must be able to share files and access the internet.

Had a quick go this morning but was unsuccessful. Is it possible to connect two routers together?

I guess a couple of ways round it would be to ditch the wired router and replace it with an 8 way hub?
Or, make all existing pcs wireless by adding a wireless card to each.

That will of course cost me more money!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Not tried this before as I do not have two routers. you could connect your barricade to the ADSL and the connect the second one through the WAN port into the first after dusabling the option DHCP server on the second router.

Can you not just use one of the routers as a switch / hub?

There's no need for a 2nd router.. you just need it for the ports.

(Unless you have 2 seperate networks setup already)

Not tried this before as I do not have two routers. you could connect your barricade to the ADSL and the connect the second one through the WAN port into the first after dusabling the option DHCP server on the second router.

I did try exactly that but it only seemed to half work. Some of the pcs had internet access and some didn't.

Timbo, thats exactly what I want to do, use one as a hub. Problem is it is not that obvious how you disable everything and make it just a hub.

I have seen a generic 8 way hub advertised on the net for around £15. I may just go for that to keep things simple.

I will experiment more when I have more time.

Timbo, thats exactly what I want to do, use one as a hub. Problem is it is not that obvious how you disable everything and make it just a hub.

I have seen a generic 8 way hub advertised on the net for around £15. I may just go for that to keep things simple.

The routing (on a router) only takes place between the ethernet ports and the WAN port. Since on one of the routers you will not be using the WAN port then it'll just act as a network switch.

For ease of administration I suggest the following:

1st router (connected to the Internet)
IP: 192.168.1.1
Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server enabled for PC clients to get IP address.

2nd Router (Connected to the 1st router via ethernet)
IP: 192.168.1.100
Mask: 255.255.255.0
G/w: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server Disabled

Look to turn off the firewall features etc and look to see if there's an option to turn this router into just a switch / disable routing features.

Also ensure that the D|HCP address pool doesn't contacin the IP of the 2nd router 192.168.1.100 or that may cause issues.

Good luck.

Thanks for all your help, sorted now.

Here's what I did.

Connect modem to wan port of wireless router. Left this router with dhcp enabled.

Disabled dhcp on original wired router, which now has no wan connection.

Connected to two routers together, lan port to lan port with a patch cable.

Rebooted all pcs to renew ip addresses from new dhcp server, and away we go.

I think that's pretty much what you said anyway Timbo.

Cheers

Back