roundabouts vs. traffic lights

english

Inactive User
Reaction score
traffic lights cost you money to run. roundabouts cost nothing to run

traffic lights cost u petrol and unnecessary pollution, when there are no other cars and u are still waiting for green. roundabouts don't.

not much of a rant but i think u get my jist ;)

i'm betting that someone here just loves traffic lights lol

There are traffic lights on some roudabouts near me, they only operate in the rush hour though.
Without them you'd never get out.

Yeah we go a few like that in Teesside but they are needed in the places where they are for the reason pipsqueaker states. One roundabout where they do need them is the Chain Bar off the M62.

You need traffic light on some roundabouts at peak times but a better thing to consider is being able to turn left on a red light

yes agree but many folks will just not understand how it works.

you can do that in france when the light flashes but its turn right........

roundabouts / traffic lights

there are situations where each have there faults and good points.

i must admit its a pain in the ar$e when you come to a light junction with no sensor in the road and it changes to red cos its on a time plan and you sit there and no other cars are on the other roads and 90 seconds later it changes........grrr

I preffer traffic lights to roundabouts... for some reason at roundabouts im always stuck in the middle lane, when I decide to go, I get sandwiched inbetween two other cars and I cant stand it, on most busy roundabouts it just takes ages to get a chance to go and the worst thing is when cars block the whole roundabout because their exit isnt clear but they still block your whole route... Cant stand roundabouts, at least at traffic lights you know you will get through in a couple of seconds, the roundabout you never know if you will get some one trying to do a personal injury scam by deliberately breaking...

Someone drove into the side of my merc when I first bought it, I was going straight ahead and they were in the right lane and just decided to go left went straight through my car by the time I stopped spinning they had sped off...

Last edited:
lol, you are not wrong there.

The same would happen in Sighthill if it were not for the constant traffic, light and iron railings...

but dont traffic light control traffic, whereas a roundabout slows it down?

Thats the point, traffic lights do control the traffic and to me thats a good thing because its fair and everyone get a chance... Roundabouts slow down the traffic, then you have some nutter at the side of you who just tries to zoom through in some £200 car, just missing on comming cars & vans :) some of the reckless drivers at roundabouts just decide to go whenever they feel like it, with no lane etiquette and no regard for other cars coming towards them already on the roundabout and not even any signals...

The Traffic lights in Lincoln certainly slow down traffic - It's like a red light zone with lights nearly every 100 yards. Stop/Go, then stop/go and stop/go again. I'm sure I've been abducted by councillors and had a red light sensor surgically implanted as every light goes red when I approach it :(

Could be worse you could have lots of mini rounabouts with people going all over the place without a care in the world, not even looking right :)

I prefer roundabouts, but they are more prone to human error.

If everyone one was a perfect driver then they'd be an ideal soloution, but there's far too many twats on the roads that don't understand the basic principles of driving through a roundabout.

:(

Thats the point, traffic lights do control the traffic and to me thats a good thing because its fair and everyone get a chance... Roundabouts slow down the traffic, then you have some nutter at the side of you who just tries to zoom through in some £200 car, just missing on comming cars & vans :) some of the reckless drivers at roundabouts just decide to go whenever they feel like it, with no lane etiquette and no regard for other cars coming towards them already on the roundabout and not even any signals...

you get the same idiots at traffic lights tho, i'd say

my point then is we don't need SO many traffic lights whereas motorway junctions etc. (some) do need them. just not on stupid little side roads and in the quiter parts lol

i think people can mostly be trusted to drive properly and safely, without being regulated by lights.

Could be worse you could have lots of mini rounabouts with people going all over the place without a care in the world, not even looking right :)

God I hate mini-roundabouts, I think they're pointless.

How many times do you have 3 vehicles all stopped waiting for the others to move.
According to the rule 'give way to the right' nobody has right of way, so they sit there like morons.

Exactly, thats why traffic lights which are either go or no go are a better solution, obviously they have to be timed fairly, etc... you cant trust humans, weird creatures...

The sooner cars become fully automated the better :)

Take the human aspect out of driving and we'll all be much safer :)

God I hate mini-roundabouts, I think they're pointless.

How many times do you have 3 vehicles all stopped waiting for the others to move.
According to the rule 'give way to the right' nobody has right of way, so they sit there like morons.

lol, that happened to me last night, it was a mini rounabout, me in one lane, then three other drivers in all the other lanes, no one knew who should go first, I just sat there because I knew if I moved someone else would be too... lol, I just waited then oddly enough the little old lady who looked like she was about a 100 and couldnt even see over her steering wheel decided to go first, then again we went back to a stale mate... lol

Back