Room Thermostat

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Right my good friends, just after some advice (or rather direction).

I have a programmable room thermostat which for all intent and purpose is buggered. I've purposely been holding off getting a new one until I replaced my boiler, however that doesn't seem to be anytime soon.

That said, missus is whining now because 'i am in control' and the only one that knows through some 'jiggery pokery' and well...a small screwdriver, to over-ride the programmed events.

So, I've been looking at replacing for the time being with a semi-cheap wifi/programmable stat (something I can use with my (her) phone until I do get something like the Nest/Honeywell ones etc).

Something like this, but not this specifically, to show as an example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074RHN3JD/?tag=amazonmick223-21

Thing is my current stat is battery powered and only has two wires, I'm not convinced these are actually live per se (perm) but rather just switched as the run back up to another switch on the boiler. I've no issue if I need to run in a perm live (as I can take this from behind the wall on the other side), but can someone give me some ideas here.

Thanks2018-03-01 19.35.16.jpg

Last edited:
Your current thermostat will be on volt free contacts, i.e the boiler is supplying the voltage - probably 24v.
The thermostat relay will short those out.

So any new non battery powered thermostat will require a separate 240v feed.

So in essence, I can run in a spur from another fused socket (which I have behind the wall) and use the two current connections as the switch? or do you mean I need to run the 240v down from the boiler? (the boiler is upstairs and the switch cabling runs up a riser and under the floors into the back bedroom(

Last edited:
Your first assumption is correct, new supply to feed the new thermostat if it's not battery powered.
The existing pair are the switch wires.

if you get a wireless thermostat you will only need to run about 1 meter of cable from the boiler to the receiver or the new stat. Depending on the boiler you have you may be allowed to do it or you will have to pay someone else as you have to be Gas Safe to do it. There are alot of guides online but each boiler has different places where the cable connects

Back