Ronaldo is New skipper for Portugal

Nani121

Banned
Reaction score
Ronaldo takes over from the legendary Figo

Cristiano Ronaldo will captain his country at this summer's European Championship

The Manchester United winger succeeds legendary Portuguese superstar Luis Figo in the role.

Ronaldo has also inherited the former Barcelona and Real Madrid playmaker's shirt as Luiz Felipe Scolari announced on Tuesday that the Red Devils ace will be handed the No. 7 jersey in Austria and Switzerland.

The decision to hand the responsibility to Ronaldo will have come as a disappointment to Nuno Gomes, Petit, Simao and Ricardo Carvalho, who have all skippered the side in the past.

Portugal are currently in training ahead of Euro 2008, but their new captain and Chelsea defender Carvalho are yet to join their team-mates as they get set for the UEFA Champions League final on Wednesday.

Scolari's side finished runners-up at the tournament four years ago and are expected to mount a serious challenge for the title once again.

They have been drawn in Group A alongside Turkey, Czech Republic and hosts Switzerland.

Source Sky Sports

good luck to him hope it doesnt go his head though

Tell me this is he leaving you's in the summer or what, i heard in work that he might.....
I don't read the papers so i would'nt know
(P.S. Thats a blow to you's if he did go).....

Tell me this is he leaving you's in the summer or what, i heard in work that he might.....
I don't read the papers so i would'nt know
(P.S. Thats a blow to you's if he did go).....

cant say whether he is or isnt football is strange when it comes to transfers just gotta wait for the new season to find out mate

and dont believe everything your hear

well he has captained his country against Brazil b4..
and he done it for United against Bolton..

its not much but it is experience...

i thought Simao would have got it... i guess he didnt get it as he dont have a difinite place in the 1st 11

no dont think so
he has a contract to 2012
and hes winning .why leave ?
no better team in the world to
play for

and im happy for him as captain

I don,t think there is anything in him leaving. As for captain for his country.....good luck to him! I personally will be hoping Portugal go all the way. The guy has done brilliant and still very young,he is living his dream and i wouldn,t bet against him doing what he says. He deserves World player of the Year...Love him or Hate Him..the guy has got talent,guts and dreams to believe in what he says. There is something very special about this fellah...the world will see more.

Thanks! Ronnie you,ve been great in making the dreams come true...along with other lads who have also done great. What a season!----What a team team!..What a club!

On a night of European glory, Cristiano Ronaldo gave Reds fans even more reason to celebrate when he quashed rumours that he could join Real Madrid this summer by pledging his future to United.

When asked by a TV reporter whether he would be leaving the club with which he has already achieved so much in his short career, Ronaldo gave the emphatic reply all Reds fans wanted to hear.

“No, no, no. I’m going to stay,” he said.

It was a fitting end to an emotional night for the Portuguese winger who opened the scoring in the 26th minute, but then missed his spot-kick in the dramatic penalty shoot-out.

“When I missed the penalty, I thought we were going to lose,” he said.

“I played well in the game and I scored a goal, but I missed the penalty. I thought it was going to be the worst day of my life.

“But the lads did their jobs. They believed they were going to score, and they scored. Penalties is a lottery, you never know who is going to win, but I think we deserve to win because we played better in the game.

“It means everything to me because we won both trophies, the Champions League and the League, so I feel very happy. It is one of the most happy days of my life. I feel very, very proud.”

Ronaldo has worked his arse to the bone this year and has played amidst much controversy at United and in the past two seasons, shows why he is becoming one of the best players in the world. Although this season he should be awarded that title as I hope no one would disagree he has been the best player anywhere on the planet.

He scored another great goal tonight and he has helped Man U to many victories this season, so was nice to see that this time round his luck was in and the team came through for all his efforts.

It was a nerve wracking match as a man u fan but watching the replay now, I can appreciate it was a very good match although at the time I was terrified to watch.

My praise though goes to Giggs for everything he has done for United, to accumulate the amount of medals he has done and carry himself the way he has is amazing and will NEVER be repeated.

All those low life United fans who have been slating him or saying he's too old are obvioulsy not United fans but merely jumping on the band wagon, of the most successful British team in my living memory anyway.

Back