Road Tax, why should i pay full whack ??

just gone and bought a 1ltr corsa

regardless of tax the cost of motoring will never get cheaper now

soon as we talk about things like riots etc the thread goes quiet, ilmao.

Well i can honestly say (and take this how you like), i for one would willingly join a protest/rally/ or possibly even a riot if it came to it in protest of fuel and car tax in the Uk, iam not in anyway promoting or prompting people to do these things, iam just expressing my view that enough is a fookin nuff and ive took all this shite from this countries rulers my whole life now and i think its about time people picked up thier arms and says "no more", and literally fight for our rights if we have too, and why fookin not, eh ??

Stick that in your pipes and smoke it all you victor meldrew types out there.

soon as we talk about things like riots etc the thread goes quiet, ilmao.

Well i can honestly say (and take this how you like), i for one would willingly join a protest/rally/ or possibly even a riot if it came to it in protest of fuel and car tax in the Uk, iam not in anyway promoting or prompting people to do these things, iam just expressing my view that enough is a fookin nuff and ive took all this shite from this countries rulers my whole life now and i think its about time people picked up thier arms and says "no more", and literally fight for our rights if we have too, and why fookin not, eh ??

Stick that in your pipes and smoke it all you victor meldrew types out there.

No i had to go to work - where i dont have access to a pc, However its totally off my point now so i dont need to bother replying as i sorta agree with the reioting and stiffer upper lip ect.

thread has fizzled out now i see, lol
The OP was about 'road tax' - which hasn't been ring fenced for the sole purpose of the up keep of roads since 1936 - the thread has now been made about fuel duty, for which I'm partly to blame. Its a topic that often leads to arguments, so is it any wonder that the thread has died?

Anyway, the claim that the UK pays the most tax on its fuel in the world is only true of diesel (thanks to the fuel escualtor between 1993 and 1999). To throw in some actual figures; Germany, for example, currently 'enjoys' a rate of €0.6545 (~£0.52) per litre + 19% VAT. In comparision the UK is currently set at £0.5035 per litre + 17.5% VAT, meaning that Germany has a higher tax per litre ratio on petrol that we do.

Nor do we have the most expensive at-the-pump price in the world or indeed Europe. Belguim, Turkey, Netherlands, Germany, Norway and Portugal all have higher average petrol prices.

I'd be all for cheaper fuel if we where paying disproportionate prices to the rest of Europe, but we're not. I know alot of people say who gives a crap about Europe... but there are EU rules are in place that, appart from slight regional variations and subsidies (e.g. wine in France), goods available in the EU should be the same price across the EEC. As a point of note there was a complaint a while back to do with the itunes store selling the same songs for €0.99 in the eurozone or £0.79 in the UK, meaning people on the continent where paying only £0.68 per track at the time.

Even if the UK Government did drop fuel duty to make the price per litre ~£0.79 that 'those' chain emails want, the fuel companies would slowly raise them again, even if the EU didn't step in for the above reason.

IMHO, biofuels (e.g. bio-diesel) should be looked at for the short to medium term, with renewables (e.g. solar charged batteries, hydrogen fuel from electrolysis) being the long term goal.

Back