Road Tax, why should i pay full whack ??

CAROLANN

Inactive User
Reaction score
I do approx at most 4000miles a year in my car, so why should i ferkin pay the same road tax as mr blogs down the road that does 200,000miles per year ??

Thats just not right man, its fookin road tax, not fookin parking tax, plus my car spends most of its life parked in a private driveway, what a pile of shite this place is, might as well just let some more terrorists come and rape us in the ass, at least thats not taxable, there again, maybe it is, lol.

(terrorists refer's to your average terrorist, generally these days muslims from those type of countries, but not always, as we arent racist, arent we not, of course not, that would just be silly of us, wouldnt it, we'r brits and proud of it, ilmfao, yea right).

I have been having this conversation about road tax at work over the weekend.

It now seems that road tax is no longer, erm, road tax? The cash generated from taxing a vehicle has 100% **** all to do with maintaining our roads.

It's just a big con mate. I don't think the Government even know what the **** they are doing half the time!!

How can a classic car be exempt of tax? Yet a brand new car pay £500+ a year in tax?

They both use the roads!! If that is the case then abolish road tax altogether and put it on fuel because that is basically what they are getting at in the past when they brought this legislation in!!!

Now they are on about taxing vehicles with high emissions, hmmmm, so why do classic cars not pay tax then??

They are so fucked up they have no idea where the **** they are at from one day to the next!!!

Last edited:
Maybe thats two rants in one, lol, ohh well, you can see my point.

Lol yeah I saw your point, and added to it.

I know what your saying, how can a person who does X amount miles pay the same tax as the person who does 25*X amount of miles?

Just does not makes sense, but as I have stated, they are so fucked up with this car tax thing I don't think they have a clue what to do or where they really are at.

And now they are trying to bring in global warming, just to justify their tax con!!!

Total muppets!!

Not only are they increasing road taxes but also it doesn't really seem to give you the right to use your car anywhere. I can't park anywhere because everywhere is residents parking (even when the housing nearby have their own drives). You can't drive anywhere for Toll road, congestion zones etc etc.

Its all a big con, the carbon issue has sod all to do with it (despite government claims). Simple thing is that very few people (outside of major cities where transport links are good) can give up the car.

whenever slasher types a post, no matter what its about, for some reason i cant read it, its like theres some sort of retinal magnet on the left side of the screen that stops me from seeing the words

its clever

In line with the "X amount miles pay the same tax as the person who does 25*X amount of miles" argument, if you drive ~4000 and Jo down the road drives 25000 they does pay more tax. They'll have a much higher fuel usage (fuel duty and VAT) and higher maintainance costs (VAT on parts and labour). VED pretty much covers the DVLA and the highways agency and not alot else these days. Whilst the local councils do get money from central government, they are free to spend it on what they like, i.e. they're not told 'this is road tax, it must be spent on road maintainance'.

To expand on the point of VED exemption for classics:

Only classics built before 1st Jan 1973 are exempt from VED. In the case of chassised cars (e.g. the Triumph Spitfire, 'series' Land Rovers) this is based on the date the chassis was assembled. With monocoque/unibody cars (e.g. the original Mini) this is based on the date the shell came off the line. Tax exemption for classics only came in in 1992, the 25 year rolling point was scraped by Labour in 1997 (hence the 31/12/1972 cut off).

The number of cars this includes is only a few percent of all those on the road (IIRC ~2% of cars on the road qualify for VED exemption on heritage grounds). The treasury only 'misses' out on a few million a year, in contrast as stated in the news article the new VED rates will net them over £1bn by 2010.

Its worth noting that the tax for any car between Jan 93 and March 2001 is based on engine size and fuel type. CO2 levels weren't, routinly, put on the registration documents before then. The Government don't want to pay for emissions tests and new log books for all the cars still on the road in this time frame, and know it would be political suicide to make the electorate to pay out of their own pocket.

But any well maintained classic will pump out the same CO2 as a non-cat'ed car of the same engine size. Properly tuned, they should even be less polluting than an early cat'ed car during the cat's 'warm-up' period. Catalytic converters became a legal recuirement for cars sold in the EU in 1993 - interestingly if you're a follower of the 15 year rule, you'd see pre-93 cars as classics in their own right and the first statement of this paragraph would be void ;)

Another argument often made by tax exempt classics drivers is that they're higher maintainance and therefore pay more VAT on spares than a more modern car.

To come back to the mileage argument, many classics are fair weather only cars. They do tend to put down more miles when they're taken out but then yearly mileage is often restricted to a few thousand for insurance purposes.

I agree with this rant. Drivers should be taxed according to how much they use the roads (it is called road tax after all) but life is not that simple. I too don't drive very much but due to the choice of my motor vehicle I pay more tax that someone who drives ten times as much as me. I think to create a system where people are taxed on their mileage would sadly be very difficult to administer.

The small problem is that driving and ownership of cars has become so cheap that there are too many cars on our roads causing a lot of pollution, whilst the maintenance of roads is also a problem.

The only way to get people off the roads is to raise prices and price people out of the market. Weirdly I agree with this and I hope that it works.

I agree with this rant. Drivers should be taxed according to how much they use the roads (it is called road tax after all) but life is not that simple. I too don't drive very much but due to the choice of my motor vehicle I pay more tax that someone who drives ten times as much as me. I think to create a system where people are taxed on their mileage would sadly be very difficult to administer.

The small problem is that driving and ownership of cars has become so cheap that there are too many cars on our roads causing a lot of pollution, whilst the maintenance of roads is also a problem.

The only way to get people off the roads is to raise prices and price people out of the market. Weirdly I agree with this and I hope that it works.

As Jeremy Clarkson and others pointed out the other year during the pay-as-you-drive 'black box' proposal, the tax on petrol performs this system quite adequatly.
  • The more you drive, the more fuel you use, the more tax you pay.
  • The less efficient your car, the more fuel you use, the more tax you pay.

My borther has a so called classic Landrover that he uses on a daily basis, and also to tow his trailer tent when he goes on holdiday 3 times a year or so. He does not pay any tax and must do about 15,000 miles a year in it.

I think that stinks, that land rover pumps out more crap than my 1.1 perol Mini Metro yet I have to pay tax. It is just wrong!!

But I have to admit, now I have properly woken up and am clear headed after last nights wine, :), it is funny how Slasher was only a couple of weeks ago kicking off about the cost of taxis, saying they are ripping people off, yet here he is kicking off about thte cost of driving as a whole. Yet taxis cost 5 times more to run than a nomral car for personal use.

Hmmm, talk about double standards.

Last edited:
Just remember in a properly tuned metro you should be getting over 30mpg (top results on google suggest 40+ for motorway driving), whilst your bro's landy will be lucky to get 18mpg. Even less when he's towing.

Of course if its diesel he could run veggie oil and pay no tax at all...

iam all for pay as you go road tax as the way it is just now is totally unfair.

And the petrol LOL, thats another story, i cant remember the correct figures, but i beleive we are being raped for about 90% of the price of the gallon of petrol, so basically the £5.00 per gallon we pay nearly all of that goes to the government, so we are being raped left right and centre.

I think i will move to dubia where the same gallon of fuel is about fookin 50p "yes 50p", lol.

Price of fuel should be cut and the road tax made to pay as you go in my opinion.

You'll only pay the taxes somewhere else and as you do so few miles, you'll probably end up paying more tax elsewhere.

iam drawing up a letter and posting it to pm as its no good just ranting, if we all sit back and hope someone else will do it we will get nowhere.

No doubt there will have been around 1000 fresh online petitions created today alone regarding the new Road Tax plans.

Will they listen?

Will they fook.

No doubt there will have been around 1000 fresh online petitions created today alone regarding the new Road Tax plans.

Will they listen?

Will they fook.

Road Tax what road tax its called mug tax

Road Tax what road tax its called mug tax

at least when youre mugged you have a chance to fight back, slap the person trying to rob you, and get your money back, and take the elizabeth duke argos special gold chain off their neck for their cheek lol

Hey don't diss Elizabeth Duke, she made my wedding rings, lol ;)

When shall we start moaning about car insurance? :)

at least when youre mugged you have a chance to fight back, slap the person trying to rob you, and get your money back, and take the elizabeth duke argos special gold chain off their neck for their cheek lol

ok you got a very good point:Clap:

Back