right !!! Heres my set up !

Delbhoy

Inactive User
Reaction score
tried flashing box using dreamup but its not recognising my Crossover cable connection for some reason, Now I have the Dreamox 500 connected directly to my tinternet modem with a crossover cable and FlashXP running and the v2.1 flash ready to rock !!!

The only problem is whit do i do next lol never used flash xp !

Cheers, Del

Dreamup uses a serial com port cable, not a network cat5 crossover cable.

By internet modem, do you mean router? In other words, are both your pc and dreambox now attached to a network?

You need your dreambox ip address (in the settings menu), then log in through flashxpusing your dreambox IP and user: dreambox pass: root

tried flashing box using dreamup but its not recognising my Crossover cable connection for some reason, Now I have the Dreamox 500 connected directly to my tinternet modem with a crossover cable and FlashXP running and the v2.1 flash ready to rock !!!

The only problem is whit do i do next lol never used flash xp !

Cheers, Del

Please explain your setup fully as its not making a lot of sense.

i.e. If your modem is connected directly to DM how it your PC connected?

Its easyest to use dreamup with a null modem cable pugged into your com port!

i have the null modem attached to the back of my ethernet connection mod and the box, the internet is working via USB port on my modem, my Null modem was attached to one of the USB ports on my pc via a USB adapter however the connection doesnt seem to be recognising the Dreambox.

cheers

when i use dream up it says connect i do that and upon switiching the box on it says limited connectivity on my connection and the "flash" box rtemains greyed out.

I dont know if its like the same as a d box but were is the bootmanager type thing when you power the box on i noticed the guide says something about bootmanager loading up but i dont have that with using dream up so far.

If you are using Dream up and a null modem cable make sure the the check box for "use Network" is unchecked

it is unchecked mate yes, although i think im using a crossover cabe not a nullmodem is that right?

i have never done a dream box but im using the same cable ive loaded images onto D Boxes with, i hope this is still the same one?

I really think you need to take a step back, exhale, and make sure your terminology is correct.

If you are using a null modem cable (like this one), then use dreamup.

If you are using a crossover cable (like this one), then you want a direct connection from pc to dreambox via both network ports, and you can use flashfxp.

Last edited:
Hi there

For your info
a null modem cable is a cable with crossover connections. ie the rx pin on one side goes to the tx pin on the other and vice versa.

pins 2 RX on side a to pin 3 TX on side b
pins 3 TX on side a to pins 2 RX on side b
pin 5 Signal groung on side a to pin 5 signal ground on side b
Also pins 7 to 8
pins 8 to 7
pins 6 to 4
pins 4 to 6

The term null moden means a cable connection without a modem . Modems in a modem connection oner a dial up connection would normally look after the rx to tx pins

Also when connecting a pc or laptop directly to the box network port Without a data switch then you must also use a network lead with crossover connections.

normal coulers used on a rj45 crossover network cable plugs are

pin 1rx Orange white --------------------\ /------------pin 1 rx Green white
pin 2 rx Orange ------\ /---------/-\------------pin 2 rx Green
pin 3 tx Green white --------\--/--------/ \-----------pin 3 tx Orange white
pin 4 blue white / \
pin 5 Blue / \
pin 6 tx Green -----/ \--------------------- pin 6 tx Orange
pin 7 Brown white
pin 8 Brown

pins 4,5 and 7, 8 are not used.

sorry my crossover drawing is not showing correctly on posts

hope this helps

Last edited:
Hi there

For your info
a null modem cable is a cable with crossover connections. ie the rx pin on one side goes to the tx pin on the other and vice versa.

pins 2 RX on side a to pin 3 TX on side b
pins 3 TX on side a to pins 2 RX on side b
pin 5 Signal groung on side a to pin 5 signal ground on side b
Also pins 7 to 8
pins 8 to 7
pins 6 to 4
pins 4 to 6

The term null moden means a cable connection without a modem . Modems in a modem connection oner a dial up connection would normally look after the rx to tx pins

Also when connecting a pc or laptop directly to the box network port Without a data switch then you must also use a network lead with crossover connections.

normal coulers used on a rj45 crossover network cable plugs are

pin 1rx Orange white --------------------\ /------------pin 1 rx Green white
pin 2 rx Orange ------\ /---------/-\------------pin 2 rx Green
pin 3 tx Green white --------\--/--------/ \-----------pin 3 tx Orange white
pin 4 blue white / \
pin 5 Blue / \
pin 6 tx Green -----/ \--------------------- pin 6 tx Orange
pin 7 Brown white
pin 8 Brown

pins 4,5 and 7, 8 are not used.

sorry my crossover drawing is not showing correctly on posts

hope this helps

Yes but for our purposes here a null modem cable refers to a serial (i.e. D plug) and a x over refers to a ethenet cable (i.e. RJ45).

Hope that helps

i am using a crossover cable guys thanks mozr so i need to be able to get a guide on using and putting the image onto the box via ftp.

Cheers, Del

i am using a crossover cable guys thanks mozr so i need to be able to get a guide on using and putting the image onto the box via ftp.

Cheers, Del

There is a guide for using FLAsHFXP in the sticky at the top of this section m8

q2

thanks mate but i can only see the sticky for the 2.1 file which ive downnloaded, id appreciate a messenger walkthru or a guide for using ;

flashFTP with a crossover cable and DW2.1 file or a proper guide to the dreamup with crossover and same said file, ive done D boxes and fully turned over the pace boxes so im no dunce but im lost with FTP.

PM me if neccassary, muchos gracias

Its not so tecky but I would recommend using Dreambox control center, most things are built in for you

Back