RGB Display problem

trickyali

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi All

After a week of hard work I finally finished setting up my Nokia
doxb2 all the channels I could wish for services files and bouquet sorted!

All this was done in my bedroom on a protable TV, as not to
distrube my 2 year old from watching Cbeebies on "HIS" plasma.

OK the moment of truth, time to connect dbox to the plasma.
When I did the picture quality was terrible.

I tried all the setting in the DBOX video menu RGB+CBV
and so on, nothing seem to improve the picture.

The pace box that i replaced worked fine set to RGB so the problem must be the signal for the dbox.

Does anyone know if you can set the dbox to RGB only??

hi m8
had the same prob found out i had to change the image to, ie zygre or boxcracker, dont know if this will help but thats what i did .

Thanks M8

What a pain Just got it all working with sportster, Oh well

Hi,

have you tried playing with the video settings in the settings menu ?

de_deej

De_deej

yes I have tried all the different settings

I have a converter box that converts RGB to component that feeds my plasma
It will only take pure RGB signal not the RGB+CVB that is on the sportster image Im going to give boxcracker a shot, if that fails I will have to connect
the dbox to my video and the output will be composite I will lose some picture
quality no big deal

Thanks for the reply m8

I connect my box to my sky+ box, then my Sony DAV amp, then into the plasma and the picture is perfect.

de_deej

Thx M8

I run out Ideas last night but will give a few diffrent setups a try before
going over to boxcraker.

Tricky

DBOX should output scart RGB fine, are you saying that your convertor (keene?) does not like the fact that it is receiving a compostite at the same time? If so then cut/remove the composite pins from your scart lead (pins 17&19).

Not sure m8

My coverter box does not like RGB+CVB signal but when I use the pace box set to RGB its fine, so what is diffrent between the Scartt outputs

It is outputting both CVBS and RGB, just remove the pins and I think you will be ok

Scobby

After checking the manuel for the Nokia CVB/Yc seems to be some sort of
component output

Have you tried both scarts on the dbox? Apparantly the TV scart outputs RGB and the VCR one doesnt on some boxes.

Yup DBOX can do component, you need to make a scart to component adapter to split the red green & blue. Havent tried myself as more than happy wih RGB plus cant be bothered switching through amp as TV only has 1 component socket, would have to use Av amp as switcher

hi m8 so if you have a newish video they normally have 2 scart sockets at the back and if you connect it via a good video then it should be a good picture im sure as i have my dbox running through my new video and it works fine on rgb +cvbs

cheers

scooby do said:
Yup DBOX can do component, you need to make a scart to component adapter to split the red green & blue. Havent tried myself as more than happy wih RGB plus cant be bothered switching through amp as TV only has 1 component socket, would have to use Av amp as switcher

Interesting thread... So can I just confirm that the Nokia DBOX can output a component signal via the scart. Is there anyone who actually uses the component output? - Hows the picture quality? Also is there anywhere where I can read-up to confirm that the DBOX can ouput a component signal?

Cheers..

Scart pin Signal
5 CB -blue GND
7 Cb-blue signal
13 CR -red GND
15 CR - red signal
17 Y-green GND
19 Y-green signal

Apparently the default YUV + VBS will give only a dark image your scart.conf may need changing (this may be fixed in later images but can easily be checked by comparing the below table of scart.conf

Original
typ_vcr/dvb v1 a1 v2 a2 v3 a3 (vcr_only: fblk)
nokia_scart 3 2 1 0 1 1
nokia dvb 5 1 1 0 1 1
sagem scart 2 1 0 0 0 0
sagem dvb 0 0 0 0 0 0
Philips scart 3 3 2 2 3 2
Philips dvb 1 1 1 1 1 1

Modified
typ_vcr/dvb v1 a1 v2 a2 v3 a3 (vcr_only: fblk)
nokia_scart 3 2 1 0 1 1
nokia dvb 5 1 1 0 1 1
sagem scart 1 1 1 0 0 0
sagem dvb 1 1 1 0 0 0
Philips scart 3 3 2 2 3 2
Philips dvb 1 1 1 1 1

The above modified is for a SAGEM box dont know what is required for nokia. Scart.conf should be modded without changing any tabulation etc (try WORDPAD) notepad will probably mess it up. Not tried myself but may give it a go if I can find some time. Let me know if you try

Thanks all

Problem sorted

This is what I got back from the manufactures

Some Nokia boxes seem to output video on an offset, which saturates the conversion circuitry. Depending on the serial number of your converter we can add a reverse offset to counteract the Nokia one.

Tricky

DBOX is fine on component just made a lead up £3.50 in parts and picture is fine without altering scart.conf,going to give the scart.conf a tinker anyway.

Ps use YUV + vbs as YUV + cvbs looks like some sort of composite over component somehow. Will try to post up some photos of picture quality

Last edited:
Here's a picture of component on a 57 inch screen. Couldn't get the camera to focus or sync. with the screen, much better in real life!!!

Ps have now changed the scan.conf to what I posted above.

shame about the focus in this one and the slight purple line across the screen (sync problems with the camera)

Back