Revive Dead Starviews Via Jtag :)

hackmax

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Build the JTAG as in the PDF below.

JTAG is in the corner of the PCB and is a 20pin connector (no pins, just pads) layed out in a 2 x 10 array.

Pin1 is the square pin.

Connections are as follows:

PIN9 = TMS
PIN11 = TCK
PIN13 = TDI
PIN15 = TDO
PIN19 = TRST

Ground is all even number pins.

VCC is the end of capacitor C40 nearest the processor.

The box must be powered up to be flashed (don't worry about the lack of display or picture)

Flashing with JKEYS
-------------------

Run JKEYS and Detect. Should come up as:

Device ID: 0x1D405041
Device: STi5518MVB-X

Choose the IRD model as 4900

Flash would be 29LV160
Start : 7FE00000
Bytes 20000

Go into flash programmer.

Erase chip first by clicking on Erase in the top right

Flash chip with a working TSOP image by clicking on the top-right Program button.

Flashing with SkyMax UP (Easier!)
--------------------------------

If you are having problems flashing with JKEYS you can also use SKYUP. This is much easier to use.

Click on 2mb (0x7FE00000)
Click Start
Click Erase
Click Write

Last edited:
Hardware is being made for this about will be about a week before it is ready. At first there will be only limited numbers.

tmc

IF YOU READ THE pdf ITS TELLING YOU HOW TO MAKE A J TAG FOR 5100 MOTOROLLA MODEM AS I ALLREADY HAVE THIS J TAG THAT I USE FOR J TAGING THE SB 5100 HOW ITS GOING TO J TAG STARVIEW

Does your jtag have the chip 74ls244 in it if so then you may be able to do it if you know which output is which.

tmc

would the universal jtag do the job or is it not compatible

no you will new starview jtag as this has a different design. No pics yet but pre-orders on ebay only under starview jtag.

tmc

Last edited by a moderator:
starview jtags are ready and any orders all ready place will go out today.

tmc

Many Thanks
Looking forward to getting it and sorting out my box.
: multi :

Last edited:
looks like there is a bug in the skymax version 1. You will need to use skymax v2

tmc

Thank you very much it looks better than the first version i'll try this and let you know the result later m8

does the box have to be connected to power the message i am gettin is as follows

"init jtag
ID CODE 00000000
fail DCU please restart or reset CPU box"

have i done something wrong
skymax 2 and 1 showing the same message
thanks
oscar

hello m8ty i am also getting the sam message
Init JTAG
IDCODE : 00000000
Fail DCU, Plesae Restart or Reset CPU Box

ive tryed it on 3 computers now and all the same

markopolo

hi m8.i bought a starview jtag off fleabay.followed the instructions,everything seemed ok.i switched the box off then on but it will still not come on.ii have tried this with 2 boxes and the same thing happend.can anyone help.thanks......

look on hackmax 1st post there is the tsop flash file to download. Use this just incase the file on the cd is corrupt.

tmc

hi m8.i bought a starview jtag off fleabay.followed the instructions,everything seemed ok.i switched the box off then on but it will still not come on.ii have tried this with 2 boxes and the same thing happend.can anyone help.thanks......

Remember to choose 2mb and not the default 1mb or you will get this problem.

hi m8.still i cant get it to work.i have followed the instructions and treble checked every connection.the first box looked ok but when i turned it off then back on the box would not come on.after that i had a series of messages telling me the following.Init JTAG
IDCODE : 00000000
Stop CPU
Fail DCU, Plesae Restart or Reset CPU Box

now when i try again my laptop keeps saying unable to open parl port.i have now tried 5 boxes for friends and cant get any to work.all the solder points are fine and i have followed all the instructions (after all its not to difficult or so i thought).please help.thanks m8.....

Back