return path

chad

Inactive User
Reaction score
can some 1 help me out and tell me how i can turn the return path on the box is di2000 the talk back has not been cut help me

had the same with a 1b the tuner can had not been modded ..so should hav talked back ...but noticed in the eng menu on page 4 Mcns ip addressing
stb ip
dns server ip
subnet mask ip
default gateway ip
.........................are all blank ............................................
is this something to do with it
i would like to find out myself thanks ....: multi :

can some 1 help me out and tell me how i can turn the return path on the box is di2000 the talk back has not been cut help me
this this is amazing i also was gonna start a thread on this just did 1 today and notice the tb light was flashing so i though it was cut already so i went to enable it so i can set the pin access for movie 9 and 10 and it wasnt cut and it dont look modded either went in diagnostic and ther no return path so is this a common thing with the 2000 and is ther anyway around it

there is already no return path but tb isnt cut could it be a chip thats faulty or was remove hence why tb was disable..... any1
only thing i can think of is look at the pics
which tuner is in ur 2000
does it look like the 1000 one?
i done this a while back the tuner was fooked and all i had was a 1000 tuner the y do fit if u push hard enough lol
the gap between the 2 inputs on the can r bigger on the 2000 than the 1000
and the talk back didnt work when replaced so have a look at that

only thing i can think of is look at the pics
which tuner is in ur 2000
does it look like the 1000 one?
i done this a while back the tuner was fooked and all i had was a 1000 tuner the y do fit if u push hard enough lol
the gap between the 2 inputs on the can r bigger on the 2000 than the 1000
and the talk back didnt work when replaced so have a look at that
hi m8 judging from what u saying the tuner seems be firmly fitted in the 2 cans and it the same as the 2000 pic so i think it a 2000 tuner i got

Last edited:
if the 2000 can have u removed it to see
they look the same on the outside

if u look in the bottom right hand corner of the leftside below the 2 inputs is there a cut on the track??
this is the tb cut

if the 2000 can have u removed it to see
they look the same on the outside

if u look in the bottom right hand corner of the leftside below the 2 inputs is there a cut on the track??
this is the tb cut
i remove it and took a good look and nada scratch on the track, i'll try and take the whole tuner apart and see if i can look @ the other side to if anything was done there

There doesn't have to be anything physically wrong with your box for it to fail to initiate talkback. If the box has a MAC address that is not recognised by the provider then the DHCP IP negotiation will fail and your box will fail to aquire talkback rights.

Talkback works on the built in modem in very much the same way as a standard modem. The box presents its MAC address in a DHCP IP request. The cc then look up the MAC address and serve up an IP address and config file based on their records. If there is no record of the MAC then no IP address and no config file !

This situation very often occurs on boxes that are running on the wrong provider. Mostly C&W boxes on TW or vice-versa !

Getting these boxes to update to latest firmware will probably not fix the problem as the MAC address (like the IRD/boxkey etc) is stored in the bootloader. These boxes would require a physical reflash of true provider firmware, preferably with firmware containing a known working MAC address.

Last edited:
so if i reflash the chip ie clone the box it will work as that not a problem .ive do it a few times or is the mac kept some were ellss

There doesn't have to be anything physically wrong with your box for it to fail to initiate talkback. If the box has a MAC address that is not recognised by the provider then the DHCP IP negotiation will fail and your box will fail to aquire talkback rights.

Talkback works on the built in modem in very much the same way as a standard modem. The box presents its MAC address in a DHCP IP request. The cc then look up the MAC address and serve up an IP address and config file based on their records. If there is no record of the MAC then no IP address and no config file !

This situation very often occurs on boxes that are running on the wrong provider. Mostly C&W boxes on TW or vice-versa !

Getting these boxes to update to latest firmware will probably not fix the problem as the MAC address (like the IRD/boxkey etc) is stored in the bootloader. These boxes would require a physical reflash of true provider firmware, preferably with firmware containing a known working MAC address.
yep just had a look in eng.menu it fail to get a lease for dhcp oh well flashing time i guess... thx m8

so if i reflash the chip ie clone the box it will work as that not a problem .ive do it a few times or is the mac kept some were ellss

It depends on the box. For a 2000 the MAC is in the same physical chips as the platform but is in the protected bootloader section (1st 64k I think). For 4000 type boxes the loader is in a physically different chip to the platform.

btw, dont attempt to use a cloned MAC address to get paid for VOD events. Someone, somewhere is likely to get a bill !

Having talkback enabled is still, on the whole, a very bad idea !

Back