Restoring Antique Weapons

Evastar

Inactive User
Reaction score
My mum got a skip and we were clearing out her garage when we spotted an old sword that my grandad got at an auction years and years ago.

It's pretty rusty, blunt and the hilt is damaged. What do i need to do to restore it, i've never tried anything like this before. Here's some photos:

Last edited:
There are 2 possible actions, to restore & not to restore.

Some collectors pay more for things that havent been touched by modern craftsmen and prefer thing in the original format.

I would see if it's worth doing first, go and have a valuation.

If it is the valuer will tell you. It can cost a few quid to restore some items, and then you dont get your money back.

Watch pawnstars tv show :) There are lots of experts giving tips, and the show is quite entertaining.

I actually don't want to sell it Captin, i want to keep it, i remember it being there since i was a tiny kid. It's the only thing i have that belonged to my grandad.

I wouldn't touch it.

We had some old clocks that my Father-in-law had collected and restored.

1 clock he had restored the face on and although it looked much better lost value as collectors prefer original untouched items.

I know you don't want to sell it now, but maybe in 50 years time things might be different.

Try taking it to a auction and explaning what you want, They might give you advice on where to take it and whats best to do with it, restoration wise.

Keep it as it is.. the rust will slowly kill if the blade doesnt instantly do the job..

My mum got a skip and we were clearing out her garage when we spotted an old sword that my grandad got at an auction years and years ago.

It's pretty rusty, blunt and the hilt is damaged. What do i need to do to restore it, i've never tried anything like this before. Here's some photos:
i would take it to a musem to find out about it first
if it is very old even trying to restore it would devalue it

Thanks everyone. My grandad is dead over thirty years now, and my mum can't remember much about when or where he got it, just that it was at an auction. I'll try and quiz her a bit more about it. :)

Back